View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
what a load of rot! This lot tell me when they want fed..they stage a sit in beside the freezer where the food is kept on top Then if I dont move they elect some-one to come & lick me to put in a complaint & if that dont work, the chosen one barks at me this is normally between 6-8pm! We have our tea at very different times everynight...the dogs havent packed their bags yet anytime weve eaten before or after them

Edited to add, they also have breakfast when I get up..I dont do breakfast most days...lunchtim sasi gets hers when the other 2 are outside & she gets fed at 3:30 when i get kids from school
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
It's 100% TRUE.

Fail to follow this rule at your own peril.

If you don't eat first, before you know what's what, you'll be eating dry kibble and cooking roast lamb for the dog

Next thing you know, they'll be on the sofa and you'll be on the floor

They've almost achieved domination - next step is to take control of the bedroom

Them pesky dogs - you can't trust em - I swear they've got a grand plan to take over the world !
Yikes! Been nice knowing you!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Dogs do not really care WHEN YOU eat, in fact they live in hope (most of them) that some will come their way!

As I said in another thread my dogs eat when it is convenient for me to feed them.

It could be after, before or with me.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I had a behaviourist around from the school of Jan Fennell. I had to eat a cracker (why a cracker? Have they got shares in Jacobs or do they just like the thought of all those crumbs all over your floor?) before feeding the dogs.

I was also told to vary their feeding times. Net result of this was that I forgot to feed them at all one night and didn't realise till I went into the kitchen at 10pm and saw all these clean dog's dishes when there should have been 2 dirty ones
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Well i personally dont believe it and it doesnt suit our lives to follow it, this morning my dogs had breakfast, my husband and i havent eaten and my kids did a quick breakfast after the dogs and not even together!

Our evening meal is usually the same time as the dogs, and it is the timing of our food and their walk which determines when that is, they are usually crated for this meal so that we can eat without them bothering us (we dont know they would but it has always been this way).

Yes they go on the sofa, but so do we, not seen any bids for household domination yet, and guess we are safe here until they learn to order food online, cos we still have to get the food here and out of the plastic container!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Why do people come up with such rubbish if my poor dogs had to wait to eat after us they would be eating after 11 at night some nights. They have breckfast at 09.30 before us, then dinner at 6 or 7 in the evening before us I can see we are going to be in big trouble soon.
MrsSB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:19 AM
You mean dogs aren't supposed to be the dominant force in the household? Oh my goodness, that's where we've been going wrong

Ben is fed twice a day, once in the morning after his walk and before my husband gets his breakfast, and once in the evening, again after his walk, and before our evening meal. He then sits and gazes adoringly at us (he really loves us, you see, not the food we're eating, ) while we eat.

And as for the sofa, well he spends half of his life spread out along a large leather sofa, with his poor little head resting on a cushion. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by MrsSB View Post
You mean dogs aren't supposed to be the dominant force in the household? Oh my goodness, that's where we've been going wrong

Ben is fed twice a day, once in the morning after his walk and before my husband gets his breakfast, and once in the evening, again after his walk, and before our evening meal. He then sits and gazes adoringly at us (he really loves us, you see, not the food we're eating, ) while we eat.

And as for the sofa, well he spends half of his life spread out along a large leather sofa, with his poor little head resting on a cushion. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
Absolutely!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I had a behaviourist around from the school of Jan Fennell. I had to eat a cracker (why a cracker? Have they got shares in Jacobs or do they just like the thought of all those crumbs all over your floor?) before feeding the dogs.

I was also told to vary their feeding times. Net result of this was that I forgot to feed them at all one night and didn't realise till I went into the kitchen at 10pm and saw all these clean dog's dishes when there should have been 2 dirty ones
When I watch JF giving a talk in Oz, she said it did not matter what you ate as long as you ate something from the dogs bowl before you fed the dog (she was suggesting a grape) all so the dogs could detect the saliva release........I did not hear much more of that talk.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Cobblers!!

A load of tosh from the old 'dominance theory' shed....
I agree
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >