Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

'If you dont stop barking at that dog Im going to hit you'
I once heard -
If you don`t come here and behave you won`t get a biscuit when you get home.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Very saddening video to watch. I also felt very very sorry for the dog.

Why do these kind of trainers want to fix everything in one session? If I were scared of snakes, dragging me past a snake pit repeatedly, is not going to make me like snakes..... it would however make me mentally "shut down" as a form of self presevation which imo is what we see in the article after the poor dogs forced hike.....
Lou
Lou SA
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Aww poor dog, I would be questioning what is going on with that poor dog at home, my chocolate lab is a rescue (she's 8 and a half now, I've had her since she was 9 months old) and she used to pee whenever anybody raised their voice and especially around men, I know from her history it was a result of abuse , dogs don't pee for no reason and certainly not if they think they are the alpha.
As for the snuggling I agree my girl is the first to come and comfort me if I am upset and she definitely doesn't see me as weak.
I know first hand some of these dog training techniques are disgusting, I had to do a lot of research when we got Summer all those years ago as she had so many behavioural problems and some of the advice was appalling!! People had the cheek to call themselves experts yet my own common sense told me not to touch their training techniques with a barge pole! As we speak she is curled up around my feet snoring and I feel so lucky to have her and so happy we took her away from an awful beginning and gave her a lovely home, she is (mostly) a very well behaved young lady now xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Had they thought maybe the dog has some kind of medical issue ? Ollie would often refuse to walk when young and look where we ended up with him. Thank goodness he was treated with kindness and respect when he did this otherwise I would be feeling very guilty right now.

When I look back I am sure there was something medically underlying from the beginning but not enough then to be pin pointed and it increased as he got older.

Can't watch the video especially of the dog is sounding distressed. People need to start looking at the bigger picture and stop thinking dogs are trying to take over.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
This is exactly why I detest CM. His methods are bad enough when he does them, but just downright dangerous when morons like those girls read his book, watch his DVD then think they know it all and go out and abuse dogs like this.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
This is exactly why I detest CM. His methods are bad enough when he does them, but just downright dangerous when morons like those girls read his book, watch his DVD then think they know it all and go out and abuse dogs like this.
This is not just a problem with CM fans - I deal with lots of people who do a behaviour or training course with absolutely no hands on experience - and off they trot with their little diploma and mess up lots of dogs. Grrrrr....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Ah yes, distance learning has a lot to answer for...............

I have often managed their expectations by giving them one of my dogs and asking them to demonstrate how they would train them to do a certain behaviour; because they are very well trained they will do it, I then get them to demonstrate the techniques they used on a somewhat less trained one................... it certainly sorts the wood from the trees
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I once heard -
Oh my what clever dogs
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ah yes, distance learning has a lot to answer for...............

I have often managed their expectations by giving them one of my dogs and asking them to demonstrate how they would train them to do a certain behaviour; because they are very well trained they will do it, I then get them to demonstrate the techniques they used on a somewhat less trained one................... it certainly sorts the wood from the trees
Problem is many of them are seeing clients and charging large sums of money ....... people think they are getting a "qualified" person - who often doesnt even put a hand on their dog - no demo no "showing" them "how to" ..... nothing..... Just a "report" with a couple of pages of science jargon which most clients dont understand anyway .........and portray themselves as an "expert" sigh........
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I once heard -
OMG that is pure comedy gold
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »