View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I saw someone Pssssting a Yorkie puppy today, a la CM. It was really ridiculous- at least she was not pinning it down or anything, I suppose I should be grateful for that (as I would have had to intervene).

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Blimey I have seen people passing urine and blood but never a yorkie! Was it a truck driver?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Very strange article. Not well put together. Who are they? Theyre just neighbours. Who gives their neighbours free hands with their dog????
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I was in the park when a woman walked past with a young schnauzer on a lead. It yapped uncertainly at my dogs, who ignored it. She waited till it had gone past my dogs and was calming down then jabbed it and went psst.
How to teach your dog not to stop barking, do you think?
The trouble with trainers who make it up (the sort of trainer who thinks- I did this once and it worked so this is what you do...) is that they have no real understanding of dog behaviour.
So the woman could have detoured and praised for calm but instead punished for calm.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Why do you think that was though? Misunderstanding of timing? Feeling guilty at doing it in front of other people? Fear of your dogs? or a mixture?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Why do you think that was though? Misunderstanding of timing? Feeling guilty at doing it in front of other people? Fear of your dogs? or a mixture?
I think it was cos she was plonker.
Her dog looked nervous.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
That goes without saying but I am always interested in the motivations of owners.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
i think it would of been a mixture of looking stupid and not understanding the dog, it should of gone like this,
when the dog barked a psssst and gentle lead tug so the dog was aware you didnt like its actions at that time,
thats if you dont mind correcting a dog for bad behavior, and you dont have to say pssst could be anything, but people who worry about looking stupid in public with there dogs i havnt got much time for, most people who dont have dogs must look out there windows on a rainy day thinking we are all mad.
seeing as the dog calmed down after passing the calm happy dogs which ignored the yapping dog ,that would have been a good time for praise and good doggy, maybe the person didnt want to look stupid talking to the dog. I would of corrected and praised, thats just my opinion
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I think people dont realise about timing as well
Because they think the dog 'knows' it is being 'bad' so the timeing of the punishment dosent matter

'If you dont stop barking at that dog Im going to hit you'
or the clasic - dog dosent recal, owner waits till dog finaly comes back and smacks it - you say that possibly this wasnt the best - they say 'Oh but look he KNOWS he has been bad - see how guilty he looked when he finally came back to me'
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think people dont realise about timing as well
Because they think the dog 'knows' it is being 'bad' so the timeing of the punishment dosent matter

'If you dont stop barking at that dog Im going to hit you'
or the clasic - dog dosent recal, owner waits till dog finaly comes back and smacks it - you say that possibly this wasnt the best - they say 'Oh but look he KNOWS he has been bad - see how guilty he looked when he finally came back to me'
another classic mistake is when people come home to find a dog has made a mess and gets punished for it, with the classic line the dog knows its been naughty, it only knows the human is un happy with dog but dosnt put the two together
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »