Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Aha, that is the FIRST sensible remark that anybody has made.

I can quite believe that for some dogs an e collar would be absolutely disastrous. I would NEVER use an e collar on a small dog like a Westie. It is using a hammer to crack an egg.

BEN WAS NOT HURT!! OH apparently (and I believe him) had to give him a maximum strength "nip" before he let out a yelp. That's all, he didn't freak, he didn't scream, he didn't bolt, he just went ouch and returned to his master, full of the joys of spring.

If you think the collar to be so cruel, believe me, Ben would NOT allow Mike to place it round his neck. This is a dog who when we first got him would turn on your hand every time you tried to clip the lead on.

What is it about these devices that instantly make people forget about body language etc.
For a dog to yelp - something hurts.

End of.

I cannot believe you did this.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-02-2011, 08:32 PM
does the dog come back now without the collar on
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry? Have I missed meeting you somewhere? I don't believe you have ever met me, or my dogs.

I would not dream of telling you what type of dogs you had, because I have never met them. Please do not try to do so with mine.

Gnasher- I have been floating around Ute forums for years, and if you honestly believe there is any wolf in Utes or Northern Inuits, then I seriously give up.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:34 PM

I can quite believe that for some dogs an e collar would be absolutely disastrous. I would NEVER use an e collar on a small dog like a Westie. It is using a hammer to crack an egg.

BEN WAS NOT HURT!! OH apparently (and I believe him) had to give him a maximum strength "nip" before he let out a yelp. That's all, he didn't freak, he didn't scream, he didn't bolt, he just went ouch and returned to his master, full of the joys of spring.

If you think the collar to be so cruel, believe me, Ben would NOT allow Mike to place it round his neck. This is a dog who when we first got him would turn on your hand every time you tried to clip the lead on.
I wouldn't use an e-collar on any dog and it wasn't my Westie one was used on either - it was my Border Collie x Basenji (two often high demanding dogs rolled in to one).

She'd had 5 years of abuse and neglect and it was bloody hard work to calm her down and her recall was shocking - she didn't have one! She does now, but it is not 100%, but that's understandable given her breeding - Basenjis aren't known for their fabulous recall!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I missed the second paragraph!

No, of course not, but unlike most people, when I do something that I think is right, I am not ASHAMED to tell people so. How much of a hypocrite would I be if I went on saying "o gosh how dreadful, fancy using e collars!" I actually have always said that I think in EXTREME circs. - like CM with Daddy and the RATTLESNAKE (NOT a ditty little Adder in the UK) - an e collar is justified. And if you had seen my Ben on occasions, believe me, you would be more understanding.
That has got to be the worst defence ever - the most Hateful thing CM ever did to that poor dog.

in 14 years of his life - to use him as a demo - shocking him

Disgraceful.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Then you had already made a huge amount of progress with Ben. I don't understand, then, why you would want to try to rush things now and risk losing so much with your choice. I hope you will reconsider.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:37 PM

So - you spent 6 months teaching him to trust you around his collar - only to put a device on him and deliver a static shock that makes him yelp.

Great - gotta love the trust that dogs place in people.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Well why dont you tell us if it is important to the post?
You know there is a wealth of experience on this forum, people who have put in amazing work for dogs who have been seriously damaged by evil humans before them
I am sorry you felt you were going to have to rehome him but tbh by 6 months I only felt I was begining to get to know Mia

With a bad start in life it can take a while for the full personality to come out - and for you to understand

If it was that bad for you I wish you had shared and let us help you

I know what its like to have a difficult dog - as do many on here, I know how heartbreaking it can be - but also how amazingly rewarding as well
Ignoring all the crap about "you haven't got wolf crosses", these dogs, whatever you want to call them, are very different. They are smart, they think laterally, you say "jump" and they will say "how high, but btw, what's in it for me, and I don't mean a bloody biscuit!!".

If this collar had not worked IMMEDIATELY, I would not have allowed OH to continue - although what he does when I'm not there, I have no control over of course. All I know is the dog I saw in Harlestone Firs on Sunday was a vision - it was as if he had become his father reincarnated. All the joy, the exuberance, the Ben-ness was there bursting with delight in the pouring rain and mud! The first time I whistled him and called Come, he came belting back to me and skidded to a sit right in front of me and almost knocked me off my feet! He roamed for miles that day, in and out of the trees, in and out of muddy puddles, we never had to use the collar, not once. That's how it should be. I could not have stood seeing him being zapped, even though I know it is only a static shock, NOT electrical current. I am a girl, I don't understand the difference, to me if it hurts, then it hurts and I don't care what it's called. Do you think I would want to have my husband HURT my beloved Ben if I didn't think it was necessary.

No, I am not prepared to say on a public forum what we have gone through, but if anybody is interested I will tell them in a PM on the understanding that it is done on trust.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Sorry? Have I missed meeting you somewhere? I don't believe you have ever met me, or my dogs.

I would not dream of telling you what type of dogs you had, because I have never met them. Please do not try to do so with mine.
oh dear you do not have a WOLFCROSS!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Gnasher- I have been floating around Ute forums for years, and if you honestly believe there is any wolf in Utes or Northern Inuits, then I seriously give up.
You said it - floating around Ute forums. I take it you knew Eddie Harrison then?
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 83 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 > Last »