Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
I would give it more time and more intensive help. Spend lots of time with Ben and work with him to help overcome his problems. Maybe you've tried too much, too many different things (and possibly behaviourists and trainers) in a short space of time - I don't think 6 months is a very long time to rehabiliate Ben, given the background you've mentioned.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:26 PM
What!! Can you not read? I said the sheep field he keeps running into is EMPTY.

We would NEVER be so damned irresponsible and STUPID as to let a wolf cross for goodness sake off lead near sheep.

Please credit me some common sense - and try READING before condemning.
Excuse me! I can read, you said you live in 'serious sheep country' where your dog regularly 'runs off', so I'm guessing he's following his prey drive, whether the sheep were in the field or not you knew he was likely to run off - seeking out sheep? Yet you let him of knowing he has no recall, then electroute him.

I stand by my initial condemnation!

I'm not a horrible person, I just do not take any kind of dog abuse lightly.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I would give it more time and more intensive help. Spend lots of time with Ben and work with him to help overcome his problems. Maybe you've tried too much, too many different things (and possibly behaviourists and trainers) in a short space of time - I don't think 6 months is a very long time to rehabiliate Ben, given the background you've mentioned.
6 months is nothing when you are working with a dog with issues.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
Well why dont you tell us if it is important to the post?
You know there is a wealth of experience on this forum, people who have put in amazing work for dogs who have been seriously damaged by evil humans before them
I am sorry you felt you were going to have to rehome him but tbh by 6 months I only felt I was begining to get to know Mia

With a bad start in life it can take a while for the full personality to come out - and for you to understand

If it was that bad for you I wish you had shared and let us help you

I know what its like to have a difficult dog - as do many on here, I know how heartbreaking it can be - but also how amazingly rewarding as well
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:27 PM
What!! Can you not read? I said the sheep field he keeps running into is EMPTY.

We would NEVER be so damned irresponsible and STUPID as to let a wolf cross for goodness sake off lead near sheep.

Please credit me some common sense - and try READING before condemning.

You have a crossbreed, not a wolf cross.

Did you think we were all going to say well done, aren't you fabulous, personally I think you have done your Ben a huge disservice, the day you strapped the collar on
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
The amount of damage I had to try and undo on my crossbreed because of the use of an e-collar was horrendous.
Aha, that is the FIRST sensible remark that anybody has made.

I can quite believe that for some dogs an e collar would be absolutely disastrous. I would NEVER use an e collar on a small dog like a Westie. It is using a hammer to crack an egg.

BEN WAS NOT HURT!! OH apparently (and I believe him) had to give him a maximum strength "nip" before he let out a yelp. That's all, he didn't freak, he didn't scream, he didn't bolt, he just went ouch and returned to his master, full of the joys of spring.

If you think the collar to be so cruel, believe me, Ben would NOT allow Mike to place it round his neck. This is a dog who when we first got him would turn on your hand every time you tried to clip the lead on.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post

Did you think we were all going to say well done, aren't you fabulous, personally I think you have done your Ben a huge disservice, the day you strapped the collar on
Sorry? Have I missed meeting you somewhere? I don't believe you have ever met me, or my dogs.

I would not dream of telling you what type of dogs you had, because I have never met them. Please do not try to do so with mine.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I DON'T!! I don't want perfection!! I hate perfection!! I love a dog who is a challenge. Ben's father, Hal, had a less than perfect recall, he would take his time to meander back, I loved that, but Ben is in a different ball game.

There is no time, time is up, if we did not do something about Ben right NOW he would end up shot.

I will not condemn a dog to months or years on a lead whilst we TRY to teach him to come back when he is called.

That to my mind is the height of cruelty.
No he wouldn't, because he should have sensible owners who wouldn't let him freely off leaad to be put in in that danger in the first place - if he got shot it would be YOUR fault, not his.

He could also be exercised in a suitable way for his breeding and personality, such as in harness and also using strong, long training lines for giving him free exercise as well as working damn hard on his recall, which given his breeding is never going to be perfect, etc...
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I DON'T!! I don't want perfection!! I hate perfection!! I love a dog who is a challenge. Ben's father, Hal, had a less than perfect recall, he would take his time to meander back, I loved that, but Ben is in a different ball game.

There is no time, time is up, if we did not do something about Ben right NOW he would end up shot.

I will not condemn a dog to months or years on a lead whilst we TRY to teach him to come back when he is called.

That to my mind is the height of cruelty.

Strange, I love my dog warts and all, as he is,high prey drive, iffy recall at times,which is why he is never set up to fail.

I think we have different ideas of cruelty.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post

Sorry, I missed the second paragraph!

No, of course not, but unlike most people, when I do something that I think is right, I am not ASHAMED to tell people so. How much of a hypocrite would I be if I went on saying "o gosh how dreadful, fancy using e collars!" I actually have always said that I think in EXTREME circs. - like CM with Daddy and the RATTLESNAKE (NOT a ditty little Adder in the UK) - an e collar is justified. And if you had seen my Ben on occasions, believe me, you would be more understanding.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 83 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 > Last »