View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:19 PM
"Oh i know, i'll let a dog off near sheep then electrocute it when it tries to chase them."

Idiotic.

Grow a brain.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Today he wasn't even wearing his collar. And he still came back when he was called.
I think that makes it even more of a shame. The fact that he's learnt so quickly what to do goes to show he's intelligent enough to be taught. What a shame you had to resort to this method instead of positive methods. I've had Casper 2 years and I still wouldn't say his recall was 100% in some situations so guess what - I don't let him off lead in those situations, and we carry on working on his recall. 6 months is nothing to a dog and I think it's a shame you weren't prepared to put more work into it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I can understand you feeling desperate in that situation but could you not have given it more time, tried one kind method instead of a multitude of methods and stuck to it religously? Would you reconsider, ditch the collar and give it a try now? Maybe some intensive 1:1?

You know my Loki is one hell of a challenge but I would never subject him to an e-collar. The baby was beside himself this afternoon, crying so much that even I began to lose the will to live. Not Loki though, he just came over and gently licked his head.

I think my point is that I would hate to risk losing any part of Loki because I lost patience and did something I hate.
We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
"Oh i know, i'll let a dog off near sheep then electrocute it when it tries to chase them."

Idiotic.

Grow a brain.
What!! Can you not read? I said the sheep field he keeps running into is EMPTY.

We would NEVER be so damned irresponsible and STUPID as to let a wolf cross for goodness sake off lead near sheep.

Please credit me some common sense - and try READING before condemning.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

Idiotic.

Grow a brain.
Exactly. Also taking in to account the breed as well!

He has suffered for the first three years of his and certainly has not been 'rescued' either.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I really thought better of you.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:22 PM
No not change him, you obviously did not read my post - I admit it was rather long and rambly - the one thing I do NOT want to do is to change my lovely boy. He still runs free, roams through the woods out of sight, chasing squirrels, greeting and meeting people and dogs. All I want is that he does not run OUT of those woods and over the hills and far away. I don't think he actually would worry sheep, but I have no wish to find out. We have very trigger-happy land owners and farmers round here, and I will NOT keep my dog on a lead, no way, no how, never. THAT to my mind is cruelty in the extreme. I wish you could see Ben, you would see that he is still a free spirit, but he just comes back when he is called.

Today he wasn't even wearing his collar. And he still came back when he was called.
that is change his very heritage and makeup!!

how many times have you been on here saying sibes and their crosses can be let off??

how many people tried to advise you,people that know?

who are you actually doing this for?

safe enclosed areas..they can be found!!

you have really saddened me ,but not as i said surprised me at all
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:22 PM
We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
You just have.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:24 PM
The amount of damage I had to try and undo on my crossbreed because of the use of an e-collar was horrendous.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Why the hell did you get a dog that is made up of northern breeds, if you wanted a perfect offlead recalling dog? The thing I love most about my dog is his character, I would never want to take that out of him, by electrocuting him.
I DON'T!! I don't want perfection!! I hate perfection!! I love a dog who is a challenge. Ben's father, Hal, had a less than perfect recall, he would take his time to meander back, I loved that, but Ben is in a different ball game.

There is no time, time is up, if we did not do something about Ben right NOW he would end up shot.

I will not condemn a dog to months or years on a lead whilst we TRY to teach him to come back when he is called.

That to my mind is the height of cruelty.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 83 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »