register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you Alpha Roll your dog?
No never and never will 43 89.58%
have done in the past but not needed to for a long time 4 8.33%
Yes do it regularly 0 0%
No, but would do if i thought it necessary 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 12:39 PM
First option for me!
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 02:22 PM
It all comes down to how & when you were to roll the dog & how the dog was trained, I manipulate my dogs in this way from day one, place them on their back & rub their bellies & calmly talk to them I only keep them down for a few seconds to start, then gradually longer. I make it into a command, if they get too excited then I will use it as a calming command & it works... for me anyway the way that I do it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I did read on here where someone tried to alpha roll an Alapaha bulldog after its quarantine period and ended up in hospital ..
Poor dog imagine being forced onto your back by some idiot human thereby removing your choice of 'flight' leaving only 'freeze' and associate humans with wanting to kill you or 'fight' and end up being classed as an aggressive dog.

Some people still live in the dark ages..
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree with Claire- what happened was NOT your fault-it must have been awful for you,especially at the age of 14.Losing a dog in any circumstances is traumatic but to lose one in the way you described must have affected you terribly.Well done for telling us your story-sometimes it can help to tell other people and we can all understand the guilt that you felt,but as I said ,it was NOT your fault.Enjoy your own dogs now,give them a hug from me,love from Maureen
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
It all comes down to how & when you were to roll the dog & how the dog was trained, I manipulate my dogs in this way from day one, place them on their back & rub their bellies & calmly talk to them I only keep them down for a few seconds to start, then gradually longer. I make it into a command, if they get too excited then I will use it as a calming command & it works... for me anyway the way that I do it.
So they will do it without your touch? and if not do you force them?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:27 PM
No and have never needed too!!! My dogs are sensitive, well three of them are, and this would destroy all the trust they have in me. They look to me to protect and look after them not to be a bully and destroy any trust and confidence they have in me.

Now rolling them over to have tummy rubs and cuddles, thats a completely different "alpha" roll
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:30 PM
It was a no from me too!!!!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
you have nothing to reproach yourself for. The adults failed you and your dog.
I`m sure we have all had situations we regret - things we wish had been handled better. I know I have.
Big hugs to you.
Thanks

But i still should have stayed strong with what i believed, things may not have turned out the way they did if i had. He was my responsibility, therefore I failed him

If anything, he did teach me soo much
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
I agree with Claire- what happened was NOT your fault-it must have been awful for you,especially at the age of 14.Losing a dog in any circumstances is traumatic but to lose one in the way you described must have affected you terribly.Well done for telling us your story-sometimes it can help to tell other people and we can all understand the guilt that you felt,but as I said ,it was NOT your fault.Enjoy your own dogs now,give them a hug from me,love from Maureen
Thanks. I still shed a tear for BenJay, he was my boy. Because of his problems I spent all of my time with him, working with him. It was a huge hole in my life when he was pts It is a real sore spot in my relationship with my parents.

My mum in recent times says she does regret putting him to sleep and now after seeing how much i have turned Totts' life around the same could have been done for him

The real sore point which didnt help was I searched for help and went to a well known trainer who owned a BC. I felt because she owned the breed she could give me advice. It was my first experience of obedience training. He was kept in the same class for 6 months despite being able to do all of the commands asked of him in his first session. When we asked for help with his behavioral issues she said its just a collie thing and thats it.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Well, we always shout "alpha roll!" when Dahlia rolls over. I think she's starting to see it as a the cue for rolling over onto her back. lol

But no, the real alpha roll thing? No way. Crock of *bleep*
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >