register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you Alpha Roll your dog?
No never and never will 43 89.58%
have done in the past but not needed to for a long time 4 8.33%
Yes do it regularly 0 0%
No, but would do if i thought it necessary 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Closest I've come to an alpha roll with Rupert is rolling him onto his back and holding him there so I could treat a paw injury when I had nobody to help me. Usually if we need to get to his paws we lure him onto his back in someones lap and one of us does what needs to be done while the other feeds him treats.
Drago
New Member!
Male 

14-02-2011, 09:59 PM
The 'roll' is based on flawed wolf research. It is believed that the Alpha wolf forces the lower ranking wolf into a submissive postion on it's back.

This is wrong, the lower ranking wolf rolls ITSELF onto it's back to show it's submission to the Alpha. No force from the Alpha at all.

All the roll does is terrifies the dog and damages it's trust with you.

A real dominant/aggressive dog would remove your face if you tried such a thing!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
The 'roll' is based on flawed wolf research. It is believed that the Alpha wolf forces the lower ranking wolf into a submissive postion on it's back.

This is wrong, the lower ranking wolf rolls ITSELF onto it's back to show it's submission to the Alpha. No force from the Alpha at all.

A real dominant/aggressive dog would remove your face if you tried such a thing!
good post!
also shouldnt be confused with any scruff holding by the dominant dog, or holding submissive dog round the throat while its down. it looks like the dominant dog is forcing the other and looks like its holding it there, but it isnt, its more of a warning and also a sign of trust from the submissive dog
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Nope, never have and never will.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Drago View Post

Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
good post!
also shouldnt be confused with any scruff holding by the dominant dog, or holding submissive dog round the throat while its down. it looks like the dominant dog is forcing the other and looks like its holding it there, but it isnt, its more of a warning and also a sign of trust from the submissive dog
yip and no one demonstrates that more than my Tupac and Flea everyday....followed by zoooomieees

yip, alpha roll schmalfa roll

mind u i pin my lot daily! ... i call it a hug lol
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I did read on here where someone tried to alpha roll an Alapaha bulldog after its quarantine period and ended up in hospital ..
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:53 PM
no answers from aversive trainers/CM fans yet....
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I did read on here where someone tried to alpha roll an Alapaha bulldog after its quarantine period and ended up in hospital ..
Good serves them right
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I have done it once. Because my boy went from sitting to lunging at my aunts face. She knelt down to stroke him, I saw the signs before it happened and mid lunge rugby tackled him because i was to far away to restrain him. I held him down while i quickly checked if my aunt was ok and to come to terms with the situation. He was totally shocked, just stared at me like what happened there.

It was an impulsive response to avoid him attacking her face. Not proud of it, but for some reason it was the first thing that came to my mind, was to prevent him reaching my aunt. It happened in an instant and the first time such an event happened in the home.

It was really silly of me and he could have attacked me instead but i think we were both so surprised by what had just happened nothing came of it.

For a split second the only thing I cared about was preventing him reaching her and forgot all about my own safety
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
I have done it once. Because my boy went from sitting to lunging at my aunts face. She knelt down to stroke him, I saw the signs before it happened and mid lunge rugby tackled him because i was to far away to restrain him. I held him down while i quickly checked if my aunt was ok and to come to terms with the situation. He was totally shocked, just stared at me like what happened there.

It was an impulsive response to avoid him attacking her face. Not proud of it, but for some reason it was the first thing that came to my mind, was to prevent him reaching my aunt. It happened in an instant and the first time such an event happened in the home.

It was really silly of me and he could have attacked me instead but i think we were both so surprised by what had just happened nothing came of it.

For a split second the only thing I cared about was preventing him reaching her and forgot all about my own safety
i wouldnt necessarily class that as an alpha roll, you werent asking the dog to submit, just holding him in a position you thought was safest at the time.... debatable i guess....
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >