Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Time outs?

What does everyone feel about giving dogs time outs?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I think they're extremely effective used properly and I have absolutely no problems using them from time to time.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I am no expert and use a lot of common sense in my approach with my doggies, not sure what the research says either.

Would dogs understand this and if so wouldnt it be seen as a negative thing as it is taking something away rather than rewarding good behaviour ? be interested in peoples thoughts, good thread SLB !
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Used correctly they can be really helpful.

The only time we use them at the moment is when Indy is barking like a nutter at agility. It's a problem we're working on which is improving but if I feel myself getting frustrated then I put her back in the car for a while - so more a time out for me than for her.

When I was training Felix for obedience we used them effectively with him. Felix can be an absolute **** when he's training and though he knows what to do he will start doing tricks which he feels are more interesting. He would then get a time out while I trained with Indy for five minutes. When I then switched back he was much more focussed on me and what he was supposed to be doing. It helped to break the cycle.

I think you have to be careful with them though and not use them in a negative way. If I gave Oliver a time out he would go to pieces thinking he's done something wrong. Oliver can never know he's done something wrong! Or funny, he hates it if someone laughs at him. Little oddball!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I am no expert and use a lot of common sense in my approach with my doggies, not sure what the research says either.

Would dogs understand this and if so wouldnt it be seen as a negative thing as it is taking something away rather than rewarding good behaviour ? be interested in peoples thoughts, good thread SLB !
I just saw VS using them in a new series and I thought - dogs dont rasionalise so although it looks effective, could it make the problem worse?

I taught my dogs out, if they were rough and tumbling too much in the living room (especially when we have friends and children come round) and they know to lay outside the door - tails wagging.

But I dont know how a time out would work, especially with younger dogs, Louie play fights with Sadie a lot and I know if I stop it, they'll be at it again in 10 minutes - whether I'm being lazy or not - I let them tire themselves out as long as they're not too noisey. If I put him in a different room then brought him back - I dont think it'd stop him.

Simularly with an aggressive case - wouldn't it just fuel a bit more of the anger due to being shut away then brought back out?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
Used correctly they can be really helpful.

The only time we use them at the moment is when Indy is barking like a nutter at agility. It's a problem we're working on which is improving but if I feel myself getting frustrated then I put her back in the car for a while - so more a time out for me than for her.

When I was training Felix for obedience we used them effectively with him. Felix can be an absolute **** when he's training and though he knows what to do he will start doing tricks which he feels are more interesting. He would then get a time out while I trained with Indy for five minutes. When I then switched back he was much more focussed on me and what he was supposed to be doing. It helped to break the cycle.

I think you have to be careful with them though and not use them in a negative way. If I gave Oliver a time out he would go to pieces thinking he's done something wrong. Oliver can never know he's done something wrong! Or funny, he hates it if someone laughs at him. Little oddball!
Awwwwhhh
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2010, 11:18 AM
'Time outs'
Hi Aimee, do you mean removing the puppy/dog to another room?
I would say it depends on the reasons you are using it, it can be useful in certain circumstances but not in others I will give you a couple of examples.

Let's say your puppy has got over excited during a period of play and this could be when playing with humans or another puppy. It can be a good thing to gently remove the puppy to play with a chew toy/rest/ calm down.

If we are talking about using time out as a cure for say play biting,it may momentarily stop the unwanted behaviour but the puppy isn't learning anything . By the time a puppy is taken to another room moments have elapsed and it won't equate the time out with the unwanted behaviour . Better to use the behaviour as an opportunity to teach bite inhibition/to walk away yourself as appropriate so the puppy equates the deed with the withdrawal of attention.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
'Time outs'
Hi Aimee, do you mean removing the puppy/dog to another room?
I would say it depends on the reasons you are using it, it can be useful in certain circumstances but not in others I will give you a couple of examples.

Let's say your puppy has got over excited during a period of play and this could be when playing with humans or another puppy. It can be a good thing to gently remove the puppy to play with a chew toy/rest/ calm down.

If we are talking about using time out as a cure for say play biting,it may momentarily stop the unwanted behaviour but the puppy isn't learning anything . By the time a puppy is taken to another room moments have elapsed and it won't equate the time out with the unwanted behaviour . Better to use the behaviour as an opportunity to teach bite inhibition/to walk away yourself as appropriate so the puppy equates the deed with the withdrawal of attention.
Oh no Louie's bite inhibition is great - I was just using it as an example

It's a general dicussion I was asking about
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I have given this some thought and I suppose I do use time outs, when we eat the dogs are sent to their beds so thats time out of a fashion I suppose. It works and they dont seem to mind as they have got the message now , so
maybe as other peeps say it works in certain circumstances
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I don`t. Unless I`m getting cross. I don`t think dogs understand the concept. JMO.
I do the turn away thing which works the same. But putting the dog out is a punishment. And I don`t want them to associate Bed or Garden with punishment.
eta - I do shut my dogs away when we have visitors, but that act is rewarded, it`s a positive act not a punishment.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »