View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Just spotted Tillymint's thread about Bach Flower Remedies, and have ordered some drops specifically for SA. It's worth a try.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Lana's been in her crate today but only because I've shut the bedroom door although she is at this moment standing by the bedroom door hopefully waiting for me to open it.

Just checked, she's on the couch so got her off and told her to go in her crate which is where she is now. It's a shame as she more or less had her own couch at the last house as I am usually on the pc chair and then she had a couch here until I put it in the spare room and gave her the crate.

I took some rubbish down to the bin today and left Lana in the house. I wasn't long 2-3 minutes maybe. I went out wearing my slippers and didn't put a coat on so I think that's why I got away with it. I remember in the old house going out the front door and walking round the side of the house to put the rubbish out and not a sound out of her so one day I needed to go to the shops, I was already wearing shoes but didn't put a coat on. Ran up the road in the freezing cold and back and she was fine.

I'm really wondering if it's not so much seperation anxiety with Lana as that she thinks she should go with me when I go out. I went to the shop today, took Lana with me and tied her up outside. I was only about 2 minutes and could see her, she barked constantly until I came out and then looked at me and started barking at me. She did the same again later.

It was almost as though she was shouting at me and being defiant, if you can put childrens feelings onto a dog I felt like slapping her face, you know the way you maybe wanted to slap your childs face when they were answering back with that cheeky look on their face

She used to do the same when she first started grabbing the lead in her mouth and I wouldn't let her play. When I said no she started barking. The first time she did it, a few days after I got her I thought maybe she was barking as she wanted to play but when she did it a couple of other times I realised it wasn't that but that she was 'arguing' with me, if you know what I mean. Very stubborn girl my Lana. If she was a child I think I would skelp her bum for her.

I wish you the best of luck with Jimmi in his crate tomorrow while you nip out for a moment. Sounds a good idea putting the crate in the car when you are taking him out. Like you I am thinking that even getting used to the crate won't solve the seperation anxiety.

I'm thinking buying the crate for Lana was a bad idea. I know it's early days but I don't think even if she got used to it that I would/could ever leave her locked in it when I had to go out. I get the impression she doesn't like being locked away. The only time she trashed anything was the livingroom door when I shut it when I went out and she still barked even while clawing at the door. Other times she has been fine, except tearing up letters if the postman came when I was out or chewing or tearing bits of paper of plastic bags
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Just spotted Tillymint's thread about Bach Flower Remedies, and have ordered some drops specifically for SA. It's worth a try.
Please keep us updated on the remedy. I've been wondering about one of those coats for Lana
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:29 PM
How's it going lcutedog??
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for asking Bitkin. I don't know I haven't left her on her own this week. I do pop out the door at odd times and that's no bother but then Lana will be aware that I haven't gone down the stairs. I won't be able to try until Tuesday as people will be home over the weekend and I wouldn't like it if she barked all the time I was out.

She's been in her crate once or twice by her own choice, I haven't enticed her in it or anything. I let her go on the couch because she's been allowed since I got her so I don't think it's fair now deciding she can't go on it and have to use the crate instead.

How's Jimmi doing? Have you managed to get out the door while he's locked in the crate or are you waiting for the Bach Flower Remedy to arrive before trying. Do you think once he's happy in the crate he'll be fine in there if you want out for an hour or so.
Aikiou
New Member!
Male 

29-05-2010, 02:16 AM
We had the same problem with one of our dogs and we used the Bach flower and it works better than I expected. If you use the same, three drops does the trick and it works in 5 to 10 minutes.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Aikiou View Post
We had the same problem with one of our dogs and we used the Bach flower and it works better than I expected. If you use the same, three drops does the trick and it works in 5 to 10 minutes.
Thank you for that, every bit of positive encouragement helps! Did you have to keep using it, or over time did your dog become so much better that you did not need it?

1cute dog, I know what you mean!! There is a time when training is perhaps not a good idea.

No, we have not left Jimmi in the crate at home yet, even for a minute to pop outside because I am waiting for the Bachs SA Remedy to arrive first. However, we did put the crate in the car today as it was cloudy and cool, and took him with us to Waitrose........he was absolutely fine, in fact even more so that on previous occasions when he just had his basket in the rear of the car, with the grill up. He never has minded being left in the car, but today there was none of the frantic excitement when we returned to him, and he was calm and contented when we got home. A good day's work I think, AND once his crate was back in the kitchen he popped in there for a snooze this afternoon.

I know that being left at home is an entirely different matter for some reason, but perhaps the Bachs remedy will stop him going frantic.
Aikiou
New Member!
Male 

30-05-2010, 11:29 PM
After talking with some pet behaviorists (my wife works with cats and dogs and meet them often), it seems that this is a problem that does not resolve itself easily. I know that with positive reinforcement and time, this problem will become less apparent but always there. But at least, it's better than before and we can now leave home without being looked at by the neighbors.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Aikiou View Post
After talking with some pet behaviorists (my wife works with cats and dogs and meet them often), it seems that this is a problem that does not resolve itself easily. I know that with positive reinforcement and time, this problem will become less apparent but always there. But at least, it's better than before and we can now leave home without being looked at by the neighbors.
That is encouraging, and I am looking forward to my Bach remedy arriving so that we can try it out. I do agree that this sort of thing only masks the problem temporarily, but perhaps over time the SA lessens because of several episodes of stress free times being left alone.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I left Lana tied outside a shop last night. As soon as I got in the shop she started barking so I went out and very firmly told her to be quiet. There was not a sound from her all the time I was in the shop I'm not really expecting it to work everytime but it wa a nice surprise.

Went out today and left her on her own in the house for 40 minutes. When I came back I heard her barking but just 2 barks then she was quiet all the time it took me to get up the 4 flights of stairs. When I went in she was pleased to see me but didn't appear distressed in any way and there were no pieces of chewed up paper anywhere. I put on a cd before going out, it was one of music to relax dogs. Who knows, maybe it worked although I played it a lot when I first got it and it didn't appear to make any difference.

I'm thinking of going out everyday for 1/2 an hour or so just to get her used to it. I'll see how it goes tomorrow as I would prefer that to tying her outside the shops as there's really only 1 or 2 where I feel I can leave her safely and the one I use most frequently is a couple of miles walk each way

Bitkin, hope your remedy comes soon and helps Jimmi.
Page 6 of 44 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »