Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
A good few years ago, someone I went to school with's family had GSDs. She told me they installed an underground electric fence, left the dogs unsupervised and one got caught somewhere, was being constantly shocked and died. I'm not trying to scaremonger, and I know you have to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt, but she told me this, and I have no reason to think she'd lie about it. Anyway, this is the only electric fence I've heard of being used with dogs, and for this reason, I'd never use one.
Last year an electric fence was put around some crops alongside a public footpath I use. Every time I used this footpath there was some small creature dead caught in the fence. Must have got stuck and repeatedly shocked. Myself and another walker managed to get a hedgehog out using sticks to move the fence but it was in bad shape. We made a request to the farmer not to use it and he did take it down, to his credit.

Not something I would use, especially unsupervised.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thats such a sad story, poor dog stories like that make me think more about things that could happen. like jake no longer wears a collar in the house coz i read stories of dogs getting caught and choked...
It was a while ago, and I'm not sure exactly hot it happened (I was only about 12 or something) but it's really stuck in my mind. I'm sure people use them with no issues, but if there's potential for something like that to happen, I'd stick with having a messy garden!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Last year an electric fence was put around some crops alongside a public footpath I use. Every time I used this footpath there was some small creature dead caught in the fence. Must have got stuck and repeatedly shocked. Myself and another walker managed to get a hedgehog out using sticks to move the fence but it was in bad shape. We made a request to the farmer not to use it and he did take it down, to his credit.

Not something I would use, especially unsupervised.
thats so sad breaks my heart to think of an animal suffering like that...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
It was a while ago, and I'm not sure exactly hot it happened (I was only about 12 or something) but it's really stuck in my mind. I'm sure people use them with no issues, but if there's potential for something like that to happen, I'd stick with having a messy garden!
me too
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Thats the thing the garden isnt mine, at my old house i built a full fence to separate them.
ATD x
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
We have an open ended area, which our dogs are allowed on, we have taught them the boundaries of where they can and cant go and do with our fosters dogs too, so no need for any gadgets.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
ATD instead of an electric fence which could possibly harm your dogs how about a chain link fence, it's not solid so would still allow the light through, and your dogs would be secure without being shocked
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi,

Why not just train your dogs not to go on the grass.

My dogs are only allowed on my grassed areas if I'm going down the garden myself. And then, only whren I call them out to me. I can go there and leave the fence/gate open (it's trellis fencing across the patio separating the patio area from the grass) and I know my dogs won't ome ontot he grass unless I say they can.

It took my about 3 weeks in total (although I was doing it almost constantly) to train them to wait at a certain point. The reason for this in my case is because there is no adequate fencing around my garden other than around the patio. Plus I have a primary school behind my back garden so I know if the dogs went out alone onto the garden they'd go visiting the neighbours or enrol themselves in the local school!

If not trellis fencing then how about putting up a metal/cattle/horse fence? It's a lot thinner than wooden trellis and probably stronger as the dogs can't chew through it. It also wouldn't block out any light.

Once your dogs are trained properly you could always take the fencing down.

In answer to your question - I would never use an electric fence or collar. We've all managed up until recently without such devices and I think with a little bit of effort, most dogs like to please their owners. I don't agree with using shocks (may not hurt us but there's no way of telling how it feels to a dog IMO) purely to stop a dog doing somethign it can be trained not to do. I think this would be the lazy option TBH.

Laura xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 11:02 PM
hi
the use of an electric fence with pet dogs imo in just lazyness,as is just opening the door and letting them out,rather than spending quality time with them.sorry if it sounds harsh.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd never consider one and would always find an alternative.

Several reasons, some have been mentioned - dogs can and do become afraid of the area where they are shocked and may become afraid to go into the garden at all. Does not happen with all dogs but I've heard it too many times for it not to be an important factor in your decisionmaking process

Secondly, the fences offer no security and no prevention to other dogs getting onto the property. Not sure exactly how yours will be set up but if it is partly to keep the dog's secure, I'd think again definitely

Boundary issues - there is scientific evidence (Polsky) to show that some dogs have become aggressive to passers by due to electric fence systems. Arguments will suggest the shock is too high but to be honest, you cannot regulate exactly what dog feels and experiences.

Another reason - the collars may on occasion not work and again, the dogs can then either get out or else get onto the grassy area.

I'd plump for training to be honest (get in a member of www.apdt.co.uk if necessary to help with this ) or else build a nice fence cheaply, or something like that....

Wys
x
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »