Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:18 PM

electric fencing

hi,
1st of all please lets not allow this post to become a slanging match we all have our opions on this subject.

My parents have sugessted the electic collar/fence to stop the dogs going on the grass. Any one see them used? or have an opinion on them?

my inital reaction would be no they are crule, but are the and different to electric fences used in fields??

ATD x
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I personally haven't used them and won't, but I think that you can get a spray collar, which in my opinion would be more humane but have the same result.

Would it not be pheasable to just put up a normal fence?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Many years ago our garden was open with fields on all sides. We installed an underground electric fence and the dogs wore sensor collars. It worked wonders and allowed the dogs the freedom of our 2 acre garden without the fear of them running off into the surrounding fields.

Firstly we tried the collars on ourselves and the shock was very very mild. They had 2 lots of warning beeps as they got closer to the perimeter before the shock. It took them a matter of days to work out how close they could get before a beep and it was very rare that they even got close enough for a shock.

IMO they are a wonderful investment for keeping your dog safe and in the right area.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I personally haven't used them and won't, but I think that you can get a spray collar, which in my opinion would be more humane but have the same result.

Would it not be pheasable to just put up a normal fence?
Thanks
They dont want a solid fence up as it is quiet a wide area and would make the house darker still. but if it wasnt solid they would get through it.
ATD x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
IMHO, i think they are cruel and i am against them especially for something like keeping them off the grass... i think in pilgrims post, thats a much more valid reason for using them.

i saw an episode of 'its me or the dog' and someone had put one up to stop her boxer from jumping the fence. the dog still jumped over it and so she put it on full strength, and the poor dog became terrified of going out into the garden, was so sad and that made me completely hate them (not that i liked them before, but that sealed it for me)
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i saw an episode of 'its me or the dog' and someone had put one up to stop her boxer from jumping the fence. the dog still jumped over it and so she put it on full strength, and the poor dog became terrified of going out into the garden, was so sad and that made me completely hate them (not that i liked them before, but that sealed it for me)
Thanks for that
ATD x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I wouldnt touch them

1st if a dog was sufficiently motivated then they still wouldnt work - Mia want through 3 electric fences to get to a field of sheep - but was to scared to come back - getting to the sheep was more important than the shock

2nd - its lazy - dont leave the dogs out unattended, teach a solid recal and leave it - no problems

3rd, if you are not there you dont know what the dog is associating with the zap, if you are there why not train more kindly
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wouldnt touch them

1st if a dog was sufficiently motivated then they still wouldnt work - Mia want through 3 electric fences to get to a field of sheep - but was to scared to come back - getting to the sheep was more important than the shock

2nd - its lazy - dont leave the dogs out unattended, teach a solid recal and leave it - no problems

3rd, if you are not there you dont know what the dog is associating with the zap, if you are there why not train more kindly
He wants to be out in the garden all the time, im trying to sort a way to keep both my parents and my dogs happy,
ATD x
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:07 PM
A good few years ago, someone I went to school with's family had GSDs. She told me they installed an underground electric fence, left the dogs unsupervised and one got caught somewhere, was being constantly shocked and died. I'm not trying to scaremonger, and I know you have to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt, but she told me this, and I have no reason to think she'd lie about it. Anyway, this is the only electric fence I've heard of being used with dogs, and for this reason, I'd never use one.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
A good few years ago, someone I went to school with's family had GSDs. She told me they installed an underground electric fence, left the dogs unsupervised and one got caught somewhere, was being constantly shocked and died. I'm not trying to scaremonger, and I know you have to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt, but she told me this, and I have no reason to think she'd lie about it. Anyway, this is the only electric fence I've heard of being used with dogs, and for this reason, I'd never use one.
thats such a sad story, poor dog stories like that make me think more about things that could happen. like jake no longer wears a collar in the house coz i read stories of dogs getting caught and choked...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »