View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Advice needed regarding greyhound aggression?!

Hey everyone,

I need some help, a friend of mine has 2 greyhounds (both rescued) has had them both for a while - male and female - she had the female first. Anyway!!!!!! For a while now she has found that the male is getting snappy at the female on walks and nips at her but my friend goes in between and most of the time her nips her. She barks at other dogs at times but not in an aggressive manner. But yesterday he bite her on the top of the head causing a VERY bad wound, she came home last night and he went for her again - she was only walking no barking, no excitement. My friend has now muzzled him as she fears he will go for again and cause more damage! Can anyone give me any advice to pass on, she's thinking of having to rehome him and both are neutred.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
are they generally over-excited, over-aroused, hyped up on the walks?

are they the same just before leaving for the walk?

has she tried walking them separately?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
are they generally over-excited, over-aroused, hyped up on the walks?

are they the same just before leaving for the walk?

has she tried walking them separately?
The male is excited to see you but not on walks, pretty chilled.
Chilled on walks unless they see a dog they really like but it last 3 barks and thats it
Yes both behave well on walks on their own but the 2nd time he went for her was in the house, not on the walk and there was no reason for it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2009, 06:36 PM
how long have they had the female and male each?

did they actually introduce the dogs to make sure they were compatible before bringing him home?

have they informed the rescue for help?

to early to say properly yet, but my instinct at this stage tells me that the male lacks self control and social skills and thinks he is playing
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
how long have they had the female and male each?

did they actually introduce the dogs to make sure they were compatible before bringing him home?

have they informed the rescue for help?

to early to say properly yet, but my instinct at this stage tells me that the male lacks self control and social skills and thinks he is playing

Yes they have been together for more than 2 years! This has been happening for the past few months.

She is phoning the rescue, and I said I would post itup here for some advice too.

He's not overly playful tbh I would say the female was the more playful out of the 2 of them. Btw the female is 6 and the male is 3 or4 cant remember
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
ummm, interesting, something must have suddenly triggered this behaviour.

any changes in their life or routine recently?

has the male had a full vet check for things like thyroid levels, arthritis, faculties, etc?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 07:02 PM
ummm, interesting, something must have suddenly triggered this behaviour.

any changes in their life or routine recently?

has the male had a full vet check for things like thyroid levels, arthritis, faculties, etc?

No her partner is away alot, so it's just her really. Same routine as always. He had his yearly check up and everything came back normal - it's really weird isn't it!!!! I ran through a list of things with her and nothing is popping out to say why this has happened!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
No her partner is away alot, so it's just her really. Same routine as always. He had his yearly check up and everything came back normal - it's really weird isn't it!!!! I ran through a list of things with her and nothing is popping out to say why this has happened!
a standard check up doesnt investigate for conditions that could relate to aggression, such as thyroid, faculties, arthritis, etc.

plus the only thing she could do now is pay a behaviourist or trainer to come round and meet the dogs and assess them in their own environment, as their is obviously a reason that your friend may not be aware of?

we would need loads more info all the routines, natures, and interactions between both dogs and between dogs and owner to come up with more ideas.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2009, 06:07 PM
I'll pass on the info thanks
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
google APDT UK, APBC, UKRCB, COAPE, and CFBA for behaviourists/trainers, or ask the vet for a referral.