Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Hopefully the last word(s) on Dominance

here it is - the study we`ve been waiting for!
http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2009/6361.html
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Briliant. I guess Bristol University is firmly off CM's Christmas card list..
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Take that Cesar... It seems you have to pay to download the actual study, that's a shame, would be well worth it if I had the money!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Excellent Claire it confirms what many of us have been saying.

Maybe a copy of the paper should be sent to a certain television entertainer in the USA who uses dogs to demonstrate his misconceptions about dominance..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the link
Exactly pretty much what I have been coming to realise from watching dogs here and my time on Dogsey

Hope it makes a difference - but it is so built into our culture just now that it will take people a long time to get over the idea that their dog wants to be the boss of them

and of course people on TV will always be more believed - no matter how unqualified they are - than actual experts
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2009, 10:44 PM
A couple of interesting quotes..

Far from being helpful, the academics say, training approaches aimed at “dominance reduction” vary from being worthless in treatment to being actually dangerous and likely to make behaviours worse.
Instructing owners to eat before their dog or go through doors first will not influence the dog’s overall perception of the relationship – merely teach them what to expect in these specific situations. Much worse, techniques such as pinning the dog to the floor, grabbing jowls, or blasting hooters at dogs will make dogs anxious, often about their owner, and potentially lead to an escalation of aggression.
Dr Rachel Casey, Senior Lecturer in Companion Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Bristol University, said: “The blanket assumption that every dog is motivated by some innate desire to control people and other dogs is frankly ridiculous. It hugely underestimates the complex communicative and learning abilities of dogs. It also leads to the use of coercive training techniques, which compromise welfare, and actually cause problem behaviours.
“In our referral clinic we very often see dogs which have learnt to show aggression to avoid anticipated punishment. Owners are often horrified when we explain that their dog is terrified of them, and is showing aggression because of the techniques they have used – but its not their fault when they have been advised to do so, or watched unqualified ‘behaviourists’ recommending such techniques on TV.”
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm so glad this study is now out

Wys
x
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Excellent!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:42 AM
My initial reaction (and I have to be honest here and say I haven't read the paper yet, only briefly scanned the first few paragraphs) is that the research in itself is flawed.

By their own admittance, they have used dogs from the "Dogs Trust Rehoming Centre". If you click on the link provided, the first introductory paragraph on this site says :-

"The Home from Home" scheme offers dogs that are kennel-stressed ..."

Research carried out on traumatised dogs to my mind does not make for very scientific results.

A far more interesting experiment would have been to select at random your subjects, such that you would have a well-balanced mix of some traumatised dogs, some very stable and well-balanced dogs from good loving homes, some from good loving homes but not stable or well-balanced, and so on.

This is just my initial reaction. I have not read the paper in detail as I am just about to take out my poor, abused, over-dominated but extremely well-balanced, stable and very loved and loving dog for his first walk of the day !

OH is away in London for the day, so I will have no excuse not to do my reading !! Whilst the cat's away and all that !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
A couple of interesting quotes..
Again, such ridiculous remarks make me very suspicious of this research, Mini.

Most or all of what you describe is not just dominance, it is plain abuse, and is a gross exaggeration of what behaviourists like CM advocate.

Anyway, Tai is looking at me with longing eyes, so I must go !
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »