Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Pidge.

This is the sort of thing that early castration will make worse and the type of thing I feared for Woody (and you.)

I hpe it can be sorted out as aggressive dogs are no picnic and I can understand how frightening and scary it must be for you.

Best of luck.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Pidge - what you`ve described is perfectly usual behaviour for a young dog pushing the boundaries. If your behaviourist can`t handle these issues they need to get a different job.

If your dog is aggressive round bones don`t give him bones.
Try NILIF - keep a house lead on him and insist on a sit-stay or a Down before he gets anything -even a stroke.
If he is hyper, address the food first - cut out all additives or colouring, then look at sensitivity.
Also - he is doing a really good job of training you by the sound of it. If you are calm and refuse him attention, he will stop demanding it. Eventually. If he chews your coffee table, put him in his bed with a chew - calmly.
Bright dogs test you. But then - did you really want a thick one?
I know what you're saying, but it really isn't normal. He is pushing the boundaries but it is not normal to be so aggressive about not getting his own way.

Shona, I am NEVER having him pts!! Ever. If it comes to it though I will gladly send him to you, seriously, I'd drive him there myself.

Yes, they've been over and all agree that he is quite ''unique'' in his behaviour.

The pts was discussed as an end result. They're not giving up and it is just the beginning for all of us but I think they wanted it made clear that if his aggression gets worse it will be an option. I'm obviously just homing in on it and panicking, as I suppose you would but it just cannot ever come to that.

True, but we have to be careful and mindful of 2 things. His agression is down to the following:

1. Boundaries not set and made clear from the start.

2. He has developed an element of mis trust in us and is now ''on guard'' and confused.

3. Confrontation with him only makes the matter worse.
Sorry Pidge...but I can't see anything 'unique' about his behaviour given the 3 things you have listed....
Most young dogs will push their boundaries as far as they can...and if he is also confused and mistrustful....and has been confronted....

Anyway...I am sure the problems can be overcome. It will just take time and patience.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
So sorry to read this - really hoped things would improve for you all. I was just thinking about your situation and wondered whether some kind of residential dog training might be an option if all else fails? His problems do seem to centre around you and the home, and just wondered whether taking him out of the environment completely, giving him a different focus, and then reintorducing him with different boundaries might be another thing to try? I have no experience with this sort of training, but it was just something that crossed my mind due to the type of problems. Really hope you can find a solution and start enjoying him again.
I think there are lots of things we can try and really it is just the beginning. I think like I said earlier I am homing in on the pts as it scares the hell out of me.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Hun we all have bad days, trust me I know, if my computer haddnt crashed yesterday then there would have been a similar post from me

Young dogs are hard work, totaly, but the more work you put in now the better he will be and in a couple of years he will be a really fantastic dog

I know agression and stuff can be difficult but TBH all that sounds like training issues rather than big agression

I am sure you are getting lots of good advice from the people who are working with you
Sounds like you really need to teach an off switch, I find the crate totaly invaluable for that, if you feed every meal in the crate too then he will get to like the crate
Try and have a really solid routine in place for him, with plenty of times for walks and training but also time out times when you give him something nice to chew in his crate or you groom him (build up the sessions and use lots of rewards so he knows being chilled is what you want) T- Touch might help, my friends have a hyper collie teenager and it really helped her
I found rescue remidy really good to chill out the dogs, also you can get specific blends for specific problems, my mum is trainining to do bach flower stuff on dogs because it has worked so well on my two

I think it is far too soon to be thinking of PTS, he is being a teenager, worse than many but there are plenty of people who have dealt with that in their dogs

I know some days you just feel you want to cry, you look at people with their easy dogs
He is young, it will get better, and you will love him all the more because of all the work you have put in to make him a fantastic dog

Make a note of all your tiny steps forward, every month see how things are a little different than the month before and in time you will see how things will start getting better

<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>> I feel your pain, and we are all here for you
the thing that works really well with him, as I have just done is '''time out''. He was gnawing and scrabbling at the coffee table. He wouldn't stop and was hyper and panting so I just scooped him into my arms, carried him to the kitchen and shut the door. I left him there until I heard him flop down by the door and relax then I let him out. He came out, shuffled to his usual spot by my feet and has been there sleeping soundly ever since.

No idea if this is good or not.

I think that is half the problem. I am now at the over-analysing stage. I'm second guessing everything I do, am paranoid and have no confidence in my ability top fix this.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
oh Pidge I can't offer any advice - I hope others can, but I feel for you. Don't give up - though I know you won't. I've returned from my hol to a devil dog instead of my gorgeus Tilly but I'm determind she's just being a stroppy pup - doesn't stop me getting all upset over it though. xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Yup I have found 'time out' really good for both you and dog

He learns that his actions have consiquenses - no shouting or hitting and that being calm is rewarding
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You say you have tried everything & are still trying, but he is only a puppy of 7 months. Perhaps you are trying the wrong things & trying too hard to make him grow up too quickly.

I know he's a gundog & I think you are doing some gundog training, but have you considered formal Obedience or Working Trials training, that is structured ? I don't mean pet obedience, but aimed at competing in competitions.

It can really stretch your dogs mind & mental ability & at the end of each session you have not only tired him mentally, but also built up a very close relationship as an added extra.
Hi, we are doing this now yes. I take him every Friday to a dog training club and we're hoping to do agility with him, when he's old enough. It really helps keep him focused as you say. Unfortunately it's now clear that it's not the exercise and stimulation that will solve these issues, there is more to it than that, most of which is inbred.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hi Pidge.

This is the sort of thing that early castration will make worse and the type of thing I feared for Woody (and you.)

I hpe it can be sorted out as aggressive dogs are no picnic and I can understand how frightening and scary it must be for you.

Best of luck.
Dawn, do let me know why as it's one thing I have been wondering about. Although ''the experts'' as I'll now refer to them have said nothing to do with it as these issues have all been underlying from day one and that him being entire would only have made things worse.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry Pidge...but I can't see anything 'unique' about his behaviour given the 3 things you have listed....
Most young dogs will push their boundaries as far as they can...and if he is also confused and mistrustful....and has been confronted....

Anyway...I am sure the problems can be overcome. It will just take time and patience.
I hope like hell that you're right (as you always are!!)

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
oh Pidge I can't offer any advice - I hope others can, but I feel for you. Don't give up - though I know you won't. I've returned from my hol to a devil dog instead of my gorgeus Tilly but I'm determind she's just being a stroppy pup - doesn't stop me getting all upset over it though. xx
Thanks hun. It's just rotten but like you, I am NEVER giving up. I'd even go childless if I had to!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Yep...time out is good.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:44 PM
My heart goes out to you Pidge, I know exactly through experience what you are going through and it just drains you. You are doing the very best for your dog and hopefully things will improve.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
My heart goes out to you Pidge, I know exactly through experience what you are going through and it just drains you. You are doing the very best for your dog and hopefully things will improve.
Thank you so much. I'd love to hear your experiences, if I may?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. Springers are naturally anxious dogs and can easily pick up on your (understandably) anxious vibes. Try not to worry, time out is good. Decide on the advice you trust and stick with it. It's very tempting to keep changing your approach when the going gets tough. If you need a break Woody can come here for a while to give you some space.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »