Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-06-2004, 01:56 AM

Dogs undertsand Language...

Just saw this posted by RAS on another board (RGs)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Anyone here close?
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2004, 02:24 AM
I absolutely believe dogs understand what we say. I tell Tigger everything that's going on, ex. who's coming over, where we're going and he seems to understand. If my husband is home, I won't tell Tigger anything (can't have anyone know I'm conversing with the dogs ) and Tigger sometimes growls at me while I'm discussing plans with my OH, or sighs and stomps around like, "you didn't tell me?"

Before I took the dogs to the vet last week Tigger was acting scared when he heard me discussing it (I didn't tell him he was just listening) like he knew he had to get a shot.

I often wonder too if dogs can't read minds and also communicate with other animals telepathically. Sometimes I'll see the dogs look at each other and then they'll act as if they sent messages on what they were going to do... Other times I'll think of something I want Tigger to do, and he'll do it without me having to say it. I had the same things happen with the Presa I watched. I would go to give him a command and he would just do it before I said it, paying attention to me the whole time.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2004, 05:11 AM
It always amazes me the amount of money spent on research, in all sorts of fields, which then comes to the conclusion that what most people have known for years is true!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

11-06-2004, 07:58 AM
I believe that Max can understand every word I say. When we are out walking and Max walks off on the wrong path I only have to say wrong way Max and he changes path straight away. Although I do wonder if he just reads my mind.

Saffy I am sure understands everything I say but chooses to ignore it

And Tia well she just looks like Im an alaien when Im talking to her.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I think they have a great ability to 'read' what we are 'feeling' by looking us in the eye. Rocky always makes eye contact, it's like he needs to see what I think before doing something or after doing something. Not sure it is pyschic or not but I think we give a hell of alot away by our eyes and perhaps dogs are just better to reading them than us!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

11-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree Azz, Max definitely looks at my eyes when im talking to him
Bon
Almost a Veteran

11-06-2004, 02:25 PM
I talk to Zoi all the time, even when we are out walking which has earned me a few odd looks LOL. :P The other night I told her we would be going out for a walk as soon as a friend arrived. As soon as this person was through the door she ran over to me and shoved her face inches from mine as if to say, well lets boogy. When I am talking to her I also smile alot.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

11-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Oh yes body lanuage, Zoi watches me like a hawk. I also know her body signs and can tell what every twitch means. Thats another reason I like dogs with uncropped ears as it makes them so much easier to read.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
my lot definitely understand what we say.poppy who's 7 has had dodgy ears from day one, so if i say anything resembling ear, eg come ere pops, she runs off and hides under the sidebaord thinking she's having the dreadful drops in again!!
They all know when i say, where's Daddy, as they climb up to the window ledge to see if hubbys coming home, or if i say wheres lucy they look upstairs to my teenage monsters room.
I also know they read all the subtle messages we give out to them eg when corry finishes its time for a walk etc.they are soo clever!!