Our sister sites
Our sister sites
farawayeyes
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2012, 01:24 AM

Looking for a PTSD Service dog

Hello,
I am a single mother with agoraphobia,ptsd,major depression and anxiety. I live with my parents as ssi is not enough to rent a studio apartment. But I am hoping to eventually find a place of my own somehow. I have made it thru raising my two sons and with my daughter being the last with me now. I am desperately seeking help in finding resources to get a service dog preferably a german shepard as I have owned them in the past and have won my heart. I used to go on long walks but since my dog died on labor day 4 years ago I haven't felt safe enough to do it alone. I miss her very much and have thought I would never own another because of the pain of the loss was so great. But since I have been a shut in for so long and miss the love of a dog, the safe feeling I get when I am with german shepards I have decided after watching several videos on how they have helped people like me to inquire as to go about getting one on a very very limited budget.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi. I have no idea as I'm in the UK and you do assistance dogs differently in the USA. In some cases I think you can train and register your own dog, though you'd have to find out more on that. I wold think training your own dog would be therapy in itself. Just make sure you get a fully health tested GSD from parents with good temperaments. You have the same problem there with GSD health, so try to get a dog from sound working lines that is not too extreme in conformation.

Have you seen this website?
http://www.psychdog.org/
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 01:30 PM
There must be charities that can help, but you'll have to research, I don't know america and I think it depends on your city and state what is available, so it will be a case of looking around.

I do sympathise, I got selkie to help me through a bout of deep depression and agoraphobia, she really helped me get through it, some days I couldn't go out of the house without her. Only guide dogs were allowed in shops though so she could never fully help or be my service dog... Be careful with your puppy choice though... Kismet, the dog I got to take up selkies role as my support, makes things worse not better, she picks up on my insecurities and protects me by lunging and acting aggressively. I am now having to cope with her problems alongside my own! Fortunately I'm not as bad as I used to be thanks to my selkie angel!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 05:09 PM
As others have said, being in the UK means we don't know much about how things are done in the US. But we do have members from the US on the board so hopefully someone will come along soon to answer you more fully.

In he UK we have a charity called DogAID (the AID bit stands for Assistance in Disability). YOu don't get a trained assistance dog from teh charity but they help you to train your own dogs depending on your own problems and follow certain standards set down.

This is one of the ways that once fully trained/qualified, the dog is allowed into shops, restaurants, and other public places not usually accessible by a dog. The dog wears a vest and metal harness very similar to that worn by guide dogs so that people are aware that he dog is working and generally, don't approach.

It could be that you have something similar in the US. maybe worth a Google search.

Of course I'm biased but I agree totally with your breed choice! GSDs are so biddable you can mor or less anythign with them. But as already stated, if you go directly to a breeder, then ensure the relevant health testing for the breed has been done. Alternatively, a breeder may have an older puppy or young dog for sale that has been held back for some reason or they haven't managed to sell. You may also find a suitable young GSD in rescue. Good luck with your search and training.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Get in touch with Suzanne Clothier if you are in the US.

http://www.suzanneclothier.com/conte...rman-shepherds
Grumpy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
As others have said, being in the UK means we don't know much about how things are done in the US. But we do have members from the US on the board so hopefully someone will come along soon to answer you more fully.

In he UK we have a charity called DogAID (the AID bit stands for Assistance in Disability). YOu don't get a trained assistance dog from teh charity but they help you to train your own dogs depending on your own problems and follow certain standards set down.

This is one of the ways that once fully trained/qualified, the dog is allowed into shops, restaurants, and other public places not usually accessible by a dog. The dog wears a vest and metal harness very similar to that worn by guide dogs so that people are aware that he dog is working and generally, don't approach.

It could be that you have something similar in the US. maybe worth a Google search.

Of course I'm biased but I agree totally with your breed choice! GSDs are so biddable you can mor or less anythign with them. But as already stated, if you go directly to a breeder, then ensure the relevant health testing for the breed has been done. Alternatively, a breeder may have an older puppy or young dog for sale that has been held back for some reason or they haven't managed to sell. You may also find a suitable young GSD in rescue. Good luck with your search and training.
Dog AID do not train dogs to assist with mental health disabilities, currently no assistance dog organisation does in the UK.
farawayeyes
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Thankyou everyone for being so kind and understanding for your replys have been great. Stumpy you have just reaffirmed three of dog trainers over here saying I would actually have to be one to train the dog. I know this sounds stupid but it is my own fear that keeps me from not just jumping right in to it head first. My self doubt keeps putting road blocks for me to get around. But I think after talking two three trainers and one from the uk I might as well accept and bite the bullet to be around a trainer teaching me to teach my own dog that i dont have yet lol. God I hate fear. Thankyou everyone
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Do it.

With the support of a good trainer and help finding just the right dog, you wont regret it.

Selkie was the greatest support for me. I got out of the house. I lost my fear. I miss my big furry angel, but even her memory gets me out of the house still. I haven't sunk as low or as dark again as I was before selkie she was my shining light and even after that light has gone out in the world, she still shines brightly in my heart.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Dog AID do not train dogs to assist with mental health disabilities, currently no assistance dog organisation does in the UK.
Dog AID don't train ANY dogs to do ANYTHING. Nobody suggested they did. Dog AID have people who go out to members of the public and help THEM train their OWN dogs to enable to dogs to go out and about in places they wouldn't normally be allowed to go, along with certain household tasks that those with physical disabilities may have problems with.

For example, Zane can turn on/off the lights, he will pick up the phone when it rings and bring it to me, he can empty the washing machine, he can open and close doors etc.

If having the dog helps someone go outside their own front door, then with help and training they can go out to restaurants and shops etc with their dog then hopefully that can be used as a foundation for further help, support and work to help the person who is suffering.
Grumpy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Dog AID don't train ANY dogs to do ANYTHING. Nobody suggested they did. Dog AID have people who go out to members of the public and help THEM train their OWN dogs to enable to dogs to go out and about in places they wouldn't normally be allowed to go, along with certain household tasks that those with physical disabilities may have problems with.

For example, Zane can turn on/off the lights, he will pick up the phone when it rings and bring it to me, he can empty the washing machine, he can open and close doors etc.

If having the dog helps someone go outside their own front door, then with help and training they can go out to restaurants and shops etc with their dog then hopefully that can be used as a foundation for further help, support and work to help the person who is suffering.
But they still do not currently offer training to people with mental health disorders

Another thing to be aware of is that not every pet dog will be suitable to train to assistance dog standards.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >