Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Teal
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Some sad bit of a story and some good news

Well sorry I havent been on in so long but thought Id get on and say hi to everyone and update on my animal life lol. Well sad news first I had to give my dog Sweet Girl away because our financial situation took a bad turn. I have to say I am miserable without a canine companion. Oh Im happy and my life is rich but you know what I mean right? Ive always been an animal lover and especially for canines and I feel lonely. I hope Sweet Girl has found a good home somewhere with a family that can afford to take care of her. We are just now starting to come out of our financial crisis and will be able to take care of a pet again soon as my husband promised me a dog as soon as we were able to afford one again. Thing is I dont think we will be getting another one until we move which we are hoping to soon. Reason being is we live next to an animal activist that is I swear on overkill! She used to give my husband lots of trouble back when we were just dating when he had an Australian Shepherd named Buddy. He fed Buddy quite well and kept his pool full. Yes a pool lol because Buddy loved to play in water it was useless to leave him with a regular little water bowl even a large one. We would even turn on the sprinkler for him and set it up on the fence and he would chase the water. Buddy was always happy whenever I came over to see my husband and he was always loveable to him and loyal. Anyways she would always call the animal control on him while he was at work. It didnt happen all the time just whenever she came outside and seen that Buddy had splashed his water nearly all out of the pool. She would swear he wasnt feeding Buddy properly but everytime the animal control did make it out they would look him over and said that Buddy was healthy and fine. I dont know why she wouldnt give up but finally one day while my husband was out at work Buddy mysteriously got out of the fence and got picked up by the pound. The sad part is he couldnt pay the 500 dollars to bring him home. What we both found when we were in the backyard looking around was that where the poker thing is on the fence to hold it shut someone had opened it and you could tell because we always picked up the poker when we opened the fence but where someone had opened it they didnt keep it lifted once they had it out of the hole and had dragged it in the dirt. Later on she called our house and said that she tried to go and get Buddy but that the pound had already euthenized him! It was like she was trying to make us feel guilty or something. My husband thinks it was because the neighbor lady didnt like him and so he let it go and decided to move on. It didnt stop once I married him and moved in with my two dogs. Ive had trouble with her lots of times. And its the same story they come out to see and my dogs are fine the yard is clear of poop except for where they just went on that day and nothing is there to hurt them! Anyways I will be glad when we can move away from her and live in peace with our animals. Its gone as far as me catching her snooping in our driveway when she thought we werent home. She even called on my husband for leaves that fell in the pool in Autumn while he was at work! And yes the leaves always got cleaned out of the pool morning in the evening and right before bed which was practically as many times as the pool needed refilling due to Buddys love of water. I dont know if anyone has ever had this type of nightmare but if so I feel your pain! Well I know that was a lot of sad stuff and Im practically into a novel and I apologize but here is some good news. Sam my parents German Shepherd is one year old and practically my pal. I get to see him three to four times a week when I go over to clean my parenst house. I do train him and he behaves wonderfullly. I look forward to seeing him everytime I go over there. He is my moms dog but since mom and dad both dont get to spend a lot of time with him mom is thinking about giving him over to me if and when we move. I love that dog he is so wonderful and makes me feel better when Im thinking about how we couldnt afford to take care of Sweet Girl. I would get a job and sometimes I want to work but my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis which for any parent with a child like this the reality of placing their child in a daycare is a scarey situation as a cold could easily send her to the hospital. Ive asked around too one time for babysitters in my family but everyone has to work. I do though earn a little on the side doing favors for others such as cleaning a house or decorating a bit where I can take my daughter with me and if it wasnt for my parents good help whenever we needed it I think we would be at a big loss. We do fine on my husbands income but with the times being hard it did get rough. My daughter does great now and she loves cats and dogs just like I do and it makes me feel great to see her thrive around them. They seem to understand like they can sense that she has CF and want to make her happy. Hopeful for another dog soon or for Sam to come home with me one day but for now its only on visits to my parents house in which my daughter and I will get to play with the cat. If we dont get to move perhaps I need to start looking at a lock for my fence and some other security things to keep our future pets safe. I like my house but the neighbor I could live without.
Ill try and post pictures of Sam soon he has gotten huge! Still a big puppy.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
this is not meant to be rude but i couldnt read your post in one big block....

can you edit it and stick it in paragraphs...???

nothing personal but i just struggle to read things like this...

Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
That is a sad story about Buddy, maybe the lady was lying and Buddy got rehomed instead of PTS. I'm also sorry you had to let your dog go.

But as you say, it's good that you have took comfort in your parents dog, and also that you hope to be able to get another dog yourself one day, I'm sure he/she and your daughter would be great pals. Mind you if you can;t move house, watch out for that neigbour of yours!
Teal
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks it means a lot to hear from other people and yes I am getting on making this in paragraphs lol sorry for the block lol and also how do I edit my post I cant figure it out.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Thats so sad about Buddy. $500 is a ridiculous amount to pay to pick up a dog from the shelter. Was he current on vaccines, registered and neutered? I'm in Texas and here, even if the dog isn't vaccinated, isn't fixed and isn't registered the collection fee is no more than $100. Much less for fixed, vaccinated and or registered dogs. Your neighbor sounds like a nutjob, but at least animal contol actually came out. Around here they don't take complaints seriously at all or investigate unless the dog has attacked someone, or is running loose.

Anyway, sorry you had to give up Sweet girl. You say you hope she found a good home, did you give her to a rescue group to rehome, or what happened to her?

I'm glad you have Sam to comfort you and bring you joy. Being dogless sucks!
Teal
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Well the wierd thing is The SPCA wouldnt take her kept saying they were too full and I got put on a waiting list for another no kill shelter and finally got her to the humane society. Im not sure if Buddy was vacinated or not and he wasnt fixed which is where Sweet Girl came from : ) he was also the only dog my husband had ever owned and one of a few that his parents had ever owned and so I can see how he went so long without the treatment but oh boy was that dog ever happy and constantly bounding around. Yeah I honestly do think Oklahoma does have some flaws in their system or maybe its just Tulsa County where we live. Yes being dogless does suck indeed. Sam is definitely a big lifesaver. Ive used his picture on my profile. Sorry to all about the big block I just cant figure out how to edit it.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Please, just be sure before taking on another dog that you are able to finacially look after it for the rest of it's life. A dog is a 15+ year commitment, not to be dumped when the going gets tough.

Pet Insurance should help if any emergancies come up. I'm sure you wouldn't consider giving up your daughter if times got tough again.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Hope this makes it easier for you to read

Well sorry I haven't been on in so long but thought Id get on and say hi to everyone and update on my animal life lol.

Well sad news first I had to give my dog Sweet Girl away because our financial situation took a bad turn. I have to say I am miserable without a canine companion. Oh Im happy and my life is rich but you know what I mean right? Ive always been an animal lover and especially for canines and I feel lonely.

I hope Sweet Girl has found a good home somewhere with a family that can afford to take care of her. We are just now starting to come out of our financial crisis and will be able to take care of a pet again soon as my husband promised me a dog as soon as we were able to afford one again.

Thing is I don't think we will be getting another one until we move which we are hoping to soon. Reason being is we live next to an animal activist that is I swear on overkill! She used to give my husband lots of trouble back when we were just dating when he had an Australian Shepherd named Buddy. He fed Buddy quite well and kept his pool full. Yes a pool lol because Buddy loved to play in water it was useless to leave him with a regular little water bowl even a large one. We would even turn on the sprinkler for him and set it up on the fence and he would chase the water. Buddy was always happy whenever I came over to see my husband and he was always loveable to him and loyal.

Anyway she would always call the animal control on him while he was at work. It didn't happen all the time just whenever she came outside and seen that Buddy had splashed his water nearly all out of the pool. She would swear he wasn't feeding Buddy properly but everytime the animal control did make it out they would look him over and said that Buddy was healthy and fine. I don't know why she wouldn't give up but finally one day while my husband was out at work Buddy mysteriously got out of the fence and got picked up by the pound.

The sad part is he couldn't pay the 500 dollars to bring him home. What we both found when we were in the backyard looking around was that where the poker thing is on the fence to hold it shut someone had opened it and you could tell because we always picked up the poker when we opened the fence but where someone had opened it they didnt keep it lifted once they had it out of the hole and had dragged it in the dirt.

Later on she called our house and said that she tried to go and get Buddy but that the pound had already euthanased him! It was like she was trying to make us feel guilty or something. My husband thinks it was because the neighbor lady didn't like him and so he let it go and decided to move on.

It didn't stop once I married him and moved in with my two dogs. I've had trouble with her lots of times. And its the same story they come out to see and my dogs are fine the yard is clear of poop except for where they just went on that day and nothing is there to hurt them!

Anyway I will be glad when we can move away from her and live in peace with our animals. Its gone as far as me catching her snooping in our driveway when she thought we weren't home. She even called on my husband for leaves that fell in the pool in Autumn while he was at work! And yes the leaves always got cleaned out of the pool morning in the evening and right before bed which was practically as many times as the pool needed refilling due to Buddy's love of water.

I don't know if anyone has ever had this type of nightmare but if so I feel your pain! Well I know that was a lot of sad stuff and Im practically into a novel and I apologize but here is some good news.

Sam my parents German Shepherd is one year old and practically my pal. I get to see him three to four times a week when I go over to clean my parenst house. I do train him and he behaves wonderfully. I look forward to seeing him every time I go over there. He is my mom's dog but since mom and dad both don't get to spend a lot of time with him mom is thinking about giving him over to me if and when we move. I love that dog he is so wonderful and makes me feel better when I'm thinking about how we couldn't afford to take care of Sweet Girl.

I would get a job and sometimes I want to work but my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis which for any parent with a child like this the reality of placing their child in a daycare is a scary situation as a cold could easily send her to the hospital. I've asked around too one time for babysitters in my family but everyone has to work. I do though earn a little on the side doing favors for others such as cleaning a house or decorating a bit where I can take my daughter with me and if it wasn't for my parents good help whenever we needed it I think we would be at a big loss.

We do fine on my husbands income but with the times being hard it did get rough. My daughter does great now and she loves cats and dogs just like I do and it makes me feel great to see her thrive around them. They seem to understand like they can sense that she has CF and want to make her happy.

Hopeful for another dog soon or for Sam to come home with me one day but for now its only on visits to my parents house in which my daughter and I will get to play with the cat.

If we dont get to move perhaps I need to start looking at a lock for my fence and some other security things to keep our future pets safe. I like my house but the neighbor I could live without.

Ill try and post pictures of Sam soon he has gotten huge! Still a big puppy.