register for free

Dog News

Ofcom rules on BBC's pedigree dog expose

Ofcom has today published its adjudications about the BBC1 programme Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

The programme – broadcast on 19 August 2008 - looked at health and welfare problems in pedigree dogs and included criticisms of the Kennel Club, other clubs and individual dog breeders.

Ofcom considered five complaints that the BBC programme was unfair; they came from the Kennel Club, the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Great Britain, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, Mr Michael Randall and Mrs Virginia Barwell.

Ofcom found that there was not unfairness to the Kennel Club in the editing of the programme and that the Kennel Club was not deceived about the purpose of the programme.

Allegations

But it was not given a proper opportunity to respond to an allegation about eugenics and a comparison with Hitler and the Nazi Party; or an allegation that it covered up the nature of an operation carried out on a Crufts Best in Show winner.

Ofcom found that, when the programme alleged that the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Great Britain was not doing all it could about a condition called Dermoid Sinus, it did not fairly represent the research on the subject. An inaccurate description of the breed’s ridge was likely to have unfairly compounded the impression that the Club was choosing to breed deformed dogs.

Summary of findings

Finally, Ofcom found that the programme was unfair to Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breeder Mrs Virginia Barwell, as it did not convey her explanations for the very brief statements she was shown making in the programme.

Ofcom did not uphold the complaints from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club or Mr Michael Randall.

Ofcom has directed the BBC to broadcast a summary of this adjudication.

Your comments and views:
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Just read about this on another site. The kc is right - they were unfairly represented and the editing was very selective. The Red and White Irish setter club's interview wasn't included at all. As for the Cav breeder - I have no sympathy for her!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
As for the Cav breeder - I have no sympathy for her!
Me either i'm afraid!

I agree the KC should have been given more time before the programe was aired to build a response but TBH the program (however select the editing) did have a point and only showed stuff that had been going for years and many people in the dog world were already aware of.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Me either i'm afraid!

I agree the KC should have been given more time before the programe was aired to build a response but TBH the program (however select the editing) did have a point and only showed stuff that had been going for years and many people in the dog world were already aware of.
True - but it did portray ALL pedigrees as unhealthy animals which simply isn't true. Some breeds have serious problems which do need to be addressed, but most breeds are perfectly healthy and have good breed clubs. I think it's boosted the dsigner crossbreed trade, and in turn, the byb.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Me either i'm afraid!

I agree, I have no sympathy for breeders who dont health test or ignore the results when they do!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
The programme was also ruled "unfair" to Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breeder Mrs Virginia Barwell.
I don't remember Mrs Barwell's contribution.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Ofcom were going to publish its findings a couple of weeks ago, this time it ruled in favour of the KC and the BBC stopped the ruling and "submitted more evidence.

I believe the program gave the impression that all Pedigree dogs were unhealthy and that Mongrals wern't which is just not true.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post

I believe the program gave the impression that all Pedigree dogs were unhealthy and that Mongrals wern't which is just not true.
At what point did the programme give either of those impressions?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
It might have been the bit were the vet Mark who builds cars said all the dogs at Crufts were mutants.

or were they actually said that cross breeds were healthier.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
It might have been the bit were the vet Mark who builds cars said all the dogs at Crufts were mutants.
All dogs at Crufts is not all pedigrees and they also showed Irving and Samson giving opposing views. If I said the programme gave the impression that everything in the garden was rosy (based on quotes shown) I don't think you'd agree.

or were they actually said that cross breeds were healthier.
That is a generalisation (an accurate one at that) but it doesn't imply that "all" individuals within the pedigree population are unhealthy or that "all" individuals of mixed breed are healthy. It is a general overview of the canine population.

What's car building got to do with it?

Ultimately the show has had a hugely beneficial impact prompting multiple changes and revisions in breed standards, KC policies and initiatives and also resulting in a much larger participation from breeders in health testing their stock.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top