Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Who has had Measles??

Please help me anyone that has had measles or kids who have had it.

I am not sure if my little girl has got it.

She seems to have had a virus forever, bad cough, runny nose, watery eyes and fever.
She gets better after few days then seems to get it again....not sure if she is getting virus after virus?

She has no spots or anything yet, but she has a slightly white tongue!
She is not eating much and is very tired.

She went to docs bout 2 wks ago they said just virus...but know that is how measles start.
I will take her to docs again tomorrow i think..but feel stupid when they say its just a cold.

She has not been immunised.

Any help pls xxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2008, 05:00 PM
The symptoms of measles begin about 7 to 14 days after infection. The infected child first develops a fever, runny nose, hacking cough, and red eyes. Sometimes the eyes are sensitive to bright light. Tiny white spots (Koplik's spots) appear inside the mouth 2 to 4 days later, and then the child develops a sore throat.
A mildly itchy rash appears 3 to 5 days after the start of symptoms. The rash begins in front of and below the ears and on the side of the neck as irregular, flat, red areas that soon become raised. The rash spreads within 1 to 2 days to the trunk, arms, palms, legs, and soles and begins to fade on the face.
At the peak of the illness, the child feels very sick and develops eye inflammation (conjunctivitis), the rash is extensive, and the temperature may exceed 104° F (40° C). In 3 to 5 days, the temperature falls, the child begins to feel better, and any remaining rash quickly fades. The diagnosis is based on the typical symptoms and characteristic rash.
Brain infection (encephalitis) occurs in about 1 out of 1,000 to 2,000 children with measles. If encephalitis occurs, it often starts with a high fever, headache, seizures, and coma, usually 2 days to 1 week after the rash appears. The illness may be brief, with recovery in about 1 week, or it may be prolonged, resulting in brain damage or death.
Secondary bacterial infections, such as pneumonia (especially in infants) or a middle ear infection (otitis media), occur fairly often. Rarely, blood platelet levels become so low that the child bruises and bleeds.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 05:07 PM
personally i wouldnt have said it was as she would probably be more ill,. has she had any spots at all or any rash? Could it be german measles ?? not as bad.

I know my wee man has had a "virus" for weeks too - but its more of a cough and cold and its lasted about a week cleared up and now he has it again - but to be honest i think his wee group of friends just spread it round to each other ....

Does she have a high temperature?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for replies.

Yes she had temp of 39 yesterday and its now 38.6 and thats after medicine.

I am going to docs in a min to be on safe side.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2008, 05:19 PM
It can be fairly mild, my son had it years ago but he'd had the mmr jab so it probably was more mild as a result, but the tell tale signs are usually the spots around the ears and inside the mouth
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Snap Trouble.
My sion had it after having the MMR too (6 months later).
He had a temp of 40+ I seem to remember reading that the rash tends to only appear once the temp hits 40.
It doesn't sound like measles to me. My son had a very mild dose and I have to say it was THE most sick he has ever been in his life, it was horrendous.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Just got back and doc reckons its not but says its hard to tell till spots come out.

How come yours got it after being immunised?? I didnt think that was possible especially so long after?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 06:10 PM
The MMR stopped the illness being as severe as it would usually be...nothing offers 100% protection and because other people aren't immunising, the blanket immunity protection is lapsing, which is why cases are on the increase. I was so grateful that I had had my son immunised, it sends me cold thinking of what it could have been like had he not been.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 07:07 PM
The MMR vaccine wasn't around when my son was small, if it had of been then he would certainly would have had it.

At 19 he contracted measles, he was very very ill. Eventually I asked for a home visit from the doctor (yes in those days they still made home visits ) who was a young lady.
Afterwards my son said to me "Mum I felt so ill I thought I was going to die..........then I opened my eyes and saw that doctors legs and I thought I had gone to heaven"

Maybe it is a virus that your little one is having trouble fighting off and that is why it keeps reappearing. Has the doc done any blood tests or anything? It might be worth mentioning it to him if not.
Hope she feels better soon.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Bless her. I can't offer any advice, but just wanted to say that my two have had viruses on and off for the last few weeks. My daughter's temperature was really high last week and she felt awful. It would only come down a degree after having kids nurofen.

I think at this time of year there are so many viruses and bugs doing the rounds that everyone's immunity is low so they pick up everything going Hope she feels better soon xx