Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Ah come on Sally - you brought this all up again with your `nah-nah-na-na-nah I`m gonna get a collar` post. I can`t imagine why (well I can, I just can`t post it!) you would taunt the people you know are against electric shock collars when you know what reaction you`ll get. We all have our views on this cruelty, and your attempts to wind people up are getting little......boring.
My thoughts exactly
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You're on a wind up now right???
You have had ONE lesson with an ecollar but you are now expert enought to use it on your own.
You don't intend to hurt your dog.
Your think posting a video will allay our fears about your dog's welfare?
You are still using positive, reward based methods.
You're winding us up right?
Obviously WE are the dumbies here........
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I am not going into a huge debate about this as you seem to have made up your mind but to be honest I cant see why anyone would infilct any type of pain on a dog just to train it, let alone spend £140 pound for the privlage. More so when there is other ways to train, yes they may take longer but it would be worth it, I dont know about others but I think half the fun of owning a dog is the training part.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 10:43 AM
This thread is going round in circles, and it may be sending out the wrong message to newbies - that this is the place to get really good advice and then ignore it. The original post asked for opinions, which have been given. Is there any point going round again - apart from the amusement it gves to the OP?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 11:59 AM
This thread is going round in circles, and it may be sending out the wrong message to newbies - that this is the place to get really good advice and then ignore it. The original post asked for opinions, which have been given. Is there any point going round again - apart from the amusement it gves to the OP?
Nope, you're right. I'm leaving the thread now as I think the OP is on a wind up.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I haven't ignored the advice given here - far from it - in fact I have put several of the suggestions given in this thread into practice. I just haven't been convinced from what I've seen so far, that the other methods will show results on a par with those I got from the e-collar session. It seems logical to me to invest my money in what I have seen works best.

The problem here is that some think an e-collar is cruel, and some don't. This thread is not for the debates for and against e-collars. It's about how I can best train my dog to be under control when near livestock. I accept that there are many who are against e-collars, just as there are many against using dogs to kill rabbits or whatever. If I have caused any upset or worry to those who think e-collars are cruel per se, I apologise, as this certainly wasn't my intention, but there's no way I'm trying to wind anyone up - that's something I simply don't get off on and it doesn't interest or amuse me in the slightest.

Avoiding the problem i.e. keeping Spike away from sheep, is not a satisfactory solution because there will always be a chance that he could get loose or escape from the garden. Yes it's a very slim chance - but if it WERE to happen, there is no doubt he would be shot on sight. Now I have two dogs, there is the chance that Blaze would follow him and also get shot.

As things stand, I am constantly worrying. A cow could damage my back fence and create a weak spot, I could fall over on a walk and lose hold of the lead (this happens more frequently than you might think as I have a medical problem), some nasty chav could let my dogs out on purpose...... there are many reasons why my dog COULD get loose within sight, sound or smell of livestock and it's a chance I feel I really can't take. This thread is about how to STOP livestock chasing, not how to avoid it.

I have explained why I believe e-collars are not necessarily cruel if used correctly and have explained what I mean by 'used correctly'. If you believe e-collars are always cruel, no matter how they are used, then this thread is perhaps no longer suitable for you, in the same way some working group threads are unsuitable for those who believe lamping or ratting is cruel.

There may be newbies who do NOT feel e-collars are necessarily cruel and who are open-minded about their use. Not everyone looking to solve a livestock chasing problem will dismiss them out of hand. I will update how we get on here so that people can find information on what does or doesn't work for us.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Well I'm glad to say the Welsh have banned them & hopefully the two parliaments will follow, then these collars will not be available to be bought by pet owners
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 08:26 PM
To Decide in the cold light of day to shock your dog by pumping electricity into him via his neck is disgusting, My question is,should you really own a dog at all? this is a animal not a television. Animals do NOT run on electricity. Your poor poor dog, how misguided is his faith in you, When you betray his faith & trust in you, this is such a sad sad tragic thread.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 03:42 PM
If there is a break in your fence and you are not there in time if you have actually managed to train your dog to respond to your commands using the coller like you say and you are not there then your dog will STILL chase the animals because your plan is to have him obay you when in a chase
if you use positive methods to get your dog to offer different behaviours when it sees livestock then you can be confident even if you are not there

For example I am working on a sit at kirbs - so my dog becomes used to sitting and waiting till released at a kirb - I have seen dogs lives been saved by that cos they were going to run into the road but their habit was to sit and wait so thats what they did - they didnt need a command from the owner

My advice at the moment (although I am sure it will be ignored) as you now have some spare money, sell the ecollar and give the money to a dogsey member who lives close to you who can come over and spend some time teaching you how to save your dogs life
If you really put the work in - without harming your relationship with your dog with negative training - I think you will be surprised how quickly you can start to see results
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13