Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kramer97
New Member!
Male 

22-06-2017, 10:31 PM

Outdoor Dog House Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at some dog houses online and I wanted to run this by the forum, as I'm new to this space (first dog-lab).

I had a few questions, looking for some feedback!

1. Plastic dog houses - I've seen a lot of plastic dog houses for relatively low pricing. Will these withhold all types of weather conditions (snow, rain , heat, etc). We have temperatures here ranging from -20C to +30C throughout the year. Will my dog rip it apart in a day or two?

2. Wood dog houses - Most if not all of the dog houses I've seen are made out of fir wood. Is this a good strong material? Does it need treating? Are their chemicals on this type of wood which could harm a dog health? I've also seen houses made out of kiln dried ceder, solid pine. Are these wood types any better? Are there other wood types which I should look for and is recommended for strength, durability and safety?

3 - Features - What type of features should I look out for? I've read that it should be raised with legs off the grass/ground. Should the dog house have a lot of adjustable windows to open and close? Two doors? roof shingles?

4 - Size - What would be a good comfortable size to get for a Lab?

In general, what should I look for and what should be avoided.

Thank you much!
K