View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't think wild dogs need to mix with domestic dogs. You'll likely just end up with dogs that nobody can trust and who have volatile temperaments, making for unnecessarily dangerous situations. I also think a wild dog (actually in the wild) would be more likely to maul a domestic dog than mate with one. Bleh, I wonder what the big idea is? This is assuming that there is a big idea...
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2015, 10:58 PM
African Wild Dogs would not be able to breed with domestic dogs. In order for an animal to breed with another and produce offspring they have to be of the same genus.

Wolves, dingos, singing dogs, jackals, coyotes and domestic dogs are all under the genus Canis.

African Wild Dogs or Painted Dogs are Lycaon genus.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Awaiting Abyss View Post
African Wild Dogs would not be able to breed with domestic dogs. In order for an animal to breed with another and produce offspring they have to be of the same genus.

Wolves, dingos, singing dogs, jackals, coyotes and domestic dogs are all under the genus Canis.

African Wild Dogs or Painted Dogs are Lycaon genus.
African Wild Dogs are Canids but are the only member of the genus Lycaon due to the fact it has fewer toes It has 78 chromosomes as does the domesticated dog, so in theory the two should be able to breed. To the best of my knowledge this has never happened either in zoos or in a domestic situation.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2