View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes I changed mine pretty soon after getting him - same thing no wheat/no grain I won't give mine any rice either. I feed him James Wellbeloved ocean fish and vegetabls and he does extremely well on it.

Not only did I notice he was significantly less windy but he calmed down by about 80% I was amazed that diet could have such a profound affect on a dog.

I give him a 3rd of a tin of dog food - bakers mostly and 1.5 scoopes of JWB - you can see you face in his coat so shiny is it!

Originally Posted by Pep_Sounds View Post
Our pup came with a bag of large breed Pedigree Chum and I changed it as soon as I could (though obviously not immediately, as this would probably have caused more upset to our pup). When she was on this I can assure you her wind was almost toxic - definitely enough to clear a room!

I changed her on to a good quality no wheat/no grain/no soy kibble by James Wellbeloved. Her wind reduced noticeably and her stools firmed up somewhat too, however we have now changed her food again, to a wet puppy tray made by Wainwrights and am astounded by the difference. She rarely has wind (only if she sneaks some nasty from the ground when out on a walk) and her stools are smaller, don't smell so bad, and a much nicer compact form. We will continue to feed her this while we weigh up whether she may be better still on a raw diet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Mine are on Arden Grange and don't fart at all - don't have smelly breath either!
I think its probably a fact that ALL dogs (like all humans) do fart. Just some make an effort not to fart in company, some fart more often that the average, some are more smelly and some make more noise!

It is a natural function!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dr Salter View Post
I used to deal with one of the Senior Managers of Pedigree, who told me that directly after a Crufts win the dogs owner would be given a free years supply of dog food. This would enable Pedigree to then say that the winner was fed Pedigree Dog Food. You cant always trust the adverts, more to the point you can NEVER trust adverts completely.
Doesn't surprise me at all...it was bloody obvious that something was going on. I was so pleased the first time one of the champs owners refused to say they were fed on pedigree.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think its probably a fact that ALL dogs (like all humans) do fart. Just some make an effort not to fart in company, some fart more often that the average, some are more smelly and some make more noise!

It is a natural function!
How very true when we had Sammy the Cairn, he didn't care where he was or who was there
Acei
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Totally agree with you Pindonkey. We have a Beagle too and had him on Orijen and now on Eden.

These large companies have massive marketing machines that convince people that they're feeding their dog the best when it falls far short.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Hello. My dog Brownie ate Pedigree canned chicken flavored food for 7 years. Almost exclusively actually. He lived to be 15 and passed away this year. He never had weight problems. NEVER had mobility problems.

Nothing like epilepsy, diabetes, DM or anything. No kidney, heart, or any other organ problems either. He never had ear problems (floppy eared). No teeth problems until he got to a very old age (14).

His poos were fine and though he did have gas occasionally... it was nothing horrible. His coat never had hot spots or anything. He always had nice lean muscle. 10, 11, 12, 13 years old... mega healthy and active dog.

Near his 15th birthday, he began to get health problems... but he was 100% healthy up until then. STRONG too, was even able to defend himself in terrible (and most regrettable) pit bull fights, but that might have just been his heart fighting for him. He was a Lab mix BTW.

Pedigree food is of course not the best food, but in essence, what I am saying is my dog Brownie did very, very well on it for a long, long time. He ate the canned food, though.. not their dried food.

If your dogs poos aren't loose and if his teeth aren't going bad, his coat losing condition, and if he's not gaining or losing random or ridiculous amounts of weight, if he's not bored and inactive... I'd not change.

While I know people love the "grain free" foods, don't let that fool you. Most "grain free" foods merely substitute the grain with something like potato... which is no better for a dog than rice or wheat or whatnot.

Also, people tend to love gloating about high levels of protein in "high quality" dog foods. High protein levels are not always good (down right dangerous in some puppies)... read up on the dangers of protein in dogs. It's great for some dogs, but can cause serious issues in some dogs.

In essence, diets low in moisture and (TOO) high in protein can cause kidney problems, among other things. Despite these "myths" being "debunked" they are still true in quite a few cases. I've never fed my dogs high protein diets, and they've always been healthy animals, so I cannot get myself to recommend high level protein foods such as EVO or Orijen.

I tried Blue for our cats, several different flavors, tried both Basic and Wilderness (Salmon flavor was very POTENT and disgusting to both them AND me)... they hated them all but they LOVED Merrick and though they are chubs... they both lost a little weight on it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
I agree about food myths to some extent, people can say some odd things! When i adopted Remus i was told that i shoud never feed a sighthound more than 21% protein or they would be off the walls and their behaviour would be terrible.

I was very doubtful that this was true as Im not someone who easily follows a lot of the breed specific myths that are about either. He was being fed on Burns puppy with some
naturesmenu added.

I checked with a behaviourist who said it was nonsence and my vet also asked what he was fed on and was hall with it. His diet has 27% protein in it and he was changed to that in the matter of a couple of days. No I'll effect to his stomach and he'd be hard pressed to be anymore lazy!
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I agree about food myths to some extent, people can say some odd things! When i adopted Remus i was told that i shoud never feed a sighthound more than 21% protein or they would be off the walls and their behaviour would be terrible.

I was very doubtful that this was true as Im not someone who easily follows a lot of the breed specific myths that are about either. He was being fed on Burns puppy with some
naturesmenu added.

I checked with a behaviourist who said it was nonsence and my vet also asked what he was fed on and was hall with it. His diet has 27% protein in it and he was changed to that in the matter of a couple of days. No I'll effect to his stomach and he'd be hard pressed to be anymore lazy!
Dear, there's no myths but there's reality about some good and bad food brands especially supermarket once that meat contents are no more than 4% all Bakers, Chappies, Pedigrees and other same crap that mostly of people feeds their four legged friends. For me it sounds like complete disaster. So always read food description before you buy it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
Dear, there's no myths but there's reality about some good and bad food brands especially supermarket once that meat contents are no more than 4% all Bakers, Chappies, Pedigrees and other same crap that mostly of people feeds their four legged friends. For me it sounds like complete disaster. So always read food description before you buy it.
Eh? Sorry, I'm confused as to why you posted this. There are food myths...like the 'sight hounds must always be on a slow protein diet'

I don't buy supermarkets food for my dogs, never have,mine are fed on a high quality food.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3