Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:26 AM

Kennel cough in puppy

Freya my 10 week old cocker spaniel has developed Kennel Cough since Sunday night

She was due her 2nd vacc yesterday but this has been put on hold until the course of antibiotics has finished. She only coughs when she wakes up and is fine when up and playing and she also seems quite snuffly too. As soon as the vet touched her trachea she coughed and Ive heard its doing the rounds where I live. She had the Kennel cough vaccine with her 1st vacc but am assuming it wouldnt have had much time to work?

Have been reading around and have been wondering if its ok to give her manuka honey? If so what sort of dose should I give her and where can I buy it?

All thoughts and advice welcomed!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Carol honey is fine and will help sooth Fraya's throat.
You can buy Manuka from any health food shop. It is quite expensive. If you have honey of any kind in the house this would be ok too. I would give a tiny amount say half a small teaspoon dissolved in a couple of tablespoons of warm water.
Poor puppy, I hope he is better soon

Re the vaccination, if Fray was already incubating the infection when vaccinated the vaccination would not be effective.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Id say shes taken it from the KC vaccine. Ordinary honey is fine. Be careful as shes so young as it can be laxative. Xbout quarter teasp 4 times day, cut back if she gets loose
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Poor Freya ...
Get well soon,,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:06 AM
A natural soothing throat and cough mixture is made by infusing some finely chopped onion and garlic in clear honey, you can gently warm the honey a bit, leave over night, strain out the onion and garlic and give a small teaspoon to you dog a couple of times a day.
Becky
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
What a rotten thing to happen to a small puppy......get well soon Freya
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
A natural soothing throat and cough mixture is made by infusing some finely chopped onion and garlic in clear honey, you can gently warm the honey a bit, leave over night, strain out the onion and garlic and give a small teaspoon to you dog a couple of times a day.
Becky
I would not be giving ANY dog ANYTHING with onion in it!

It is toxic to dogs causing anaemia! Onion is not going to do anything positive to a dog.

Garlic is fine, it is anti bacterial, antifungal, antiseptic etc.

Manuka honey has the benefit over regular honey in that it has GREAT antibacterial and healing properties, so, if you can afford it I would use it.

It comes in various strengths, I use 20+ but this costs circ £20 for a small jar.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank You everyone..

I popped out and bought the most expensive pot of manuka honey I could find and Freya Loves it!!!!

Today she is really off her food and I assume this is down to feeling poorly. Ive not made any fuss about it and picked it straight up (its kibble soaked in warm water)...shes had the abs since early monday pm (when she started them). How soon do you all think it will be until I see an improvement in her...shes been more sleepy today too

Its really horrible seeing a puppy feeling so sad...
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Aw poor little thing 4 of my 6 have kennel cough caught from our newly adopted staffie, despite mine being vaccinated. Obviously a different strain I tried manuka honey on mine following the advice of Smokeybear and it's very good. It's helped no end. Coco, who first started with it is improving after a few days of antibiotics, and so is Poppy. Both had a terrible cough. Now Danny and Otis are coughing but nowhere near as much so I will see how they go. Just Guinness and Jenny to go now!! yeeharrr!!
You should start to see an improvement in a few days hun. Good luck xx