Our sister sites
Our sister sites
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Pedigree puppy food?

hi again

as with my pervious dogs...i am weening my 12 week old boys onto..pedigree puppy tinned...mixed in with what hey came with Beta dry food...i have never heard of the Beta..as anyone else and if so wats your opinion..the reason i am queiring the food i prefer s that my past dogs teeth wasnt brilliant and wondered if what i have chose is a good choice...any advice as always will be taken on board...many thanx xxxx
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 03:59 AM
If the puppies are on Beta and doing fine, I would suggest sticking to it. There is very little hard data to base dog food decisions on. Nearly everything you hear is based on speculation about the ingredients. Neither Beta of Pedigree scores well based on ingredients.

Having seen thousands of healthy dogs eating Pro Plan, it is difficult for me to take those bashing it and other common brands including Beta and Pedigree seriously. Understand, I am not saying Beta is better than Pedigree, just stick with what is working.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by michele44 View Post
hi again

as with my pervious dogs...i am weening my 12 week old boys onto..pedigree puppy tinned...mixed in with what hey came with Beta dry food...i have never heard of the Beta..as anyone else and if so wats your opinion..the reason i am queiring the food i prefer s that my past dogs teeth wasnt brilliant and wondered if what i have chose is a good choice...any advice as always will be taken on board...many thanx xxxx
When I picked up my pup he had been weaned onto Beta puppy food by the breeder.

I had read various reviews/opinions on which was supposed to be the best dog food ad there were two which seemed to consistently be recommended - Fish4Dogs and Burns. The reason they seem to be so highly recommended is that they don't have additives, colourings, artificial ingredients etc and the meal mainly consists of 'proper' meat, not fillers and cereals.

I changed Bobby onto F4D puppy which he absolutely loved, but I found it hard to get a regular supply of locally. I then changed him onto Burns puppy which he is still on and is doing really well on (both these foods are dry by the way). I will keep him on Burns now.

I am sure that Pedigree will do no harm to dogd - after all millions of pooches are fed on it every year, so I guess it can't be that bad, it just depends on your view on the various fillers and additives they contain I guess.

As for the tooth problem, if you dont want to have to deal with tooth decay in your dogs then I would recommend a diet of dried dog food (or doing teeth cleaning yourself). In my previous dog his teeth were reallly clean and white right up to when he died age nearly 13 and I think it was because he was on a dried food diet, as well as the occassional treat of raw stuff from carrot to chicken leg that kept his teeth so clean.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Beta is a very respected and popular dog food and MUCH better than Pedigree - we wouldn't feed ours on Pedigree if it was the only dog food around... it is too rich for puppies too. I personally would stick to the Beta or try something like Naturediet, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin if you want to change.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:32 AM
My Codee was on pedigree as she was weaned onto that as a pup, she had quite sloppy poos, so think it was too much for her, we weaned her onto a raw diet, though now she is on 'Symply' salmon and potato dry food with tasty toppers just for something different, she has raw carrots to keep those gnashers sparkling too...
Feeding is really a personal choice and what your dog thrives on and what you feel comfortable feeding, imo
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:38 AM
thanx for your replies,

my past staffs was on perdigree dry for yrs, but they still suffered with bad plaque build up, i did have to start mixing in the tinned with dry as they got older because of teeth problems...now 1 of my litters which my sister in law has is 10yrs old and his teeth are perfect...i checked them the other day and was amazed...but i know she buys him chews for is teeth ect..when i got these 2 boys, they was givien a puppy pack with beta and the ladysaid its what they had been weened onto...i found it hard to believe togive give a tiny baby hard food but that might be me being old fashioned and given the wrong information back in my breeding days (not my breedin days personaly )

anyway i rang her up and asked the amound she gave them...she dint know because she just filled the dish up...anyway although i prefer to feed them seperate just so i know they are both eating well...i gave them the beta and they left it ..so i bought pedigree puppy tinned and mixed it in, they eat seperate and love it, plenty of hide bones and kongas for teeth, and they are really coming on...but i worry for their teeth in the future.
michele xxxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Ours are fed dry kibble - "soaked". As adults their food is soaked. They are 10, 5 + 3 years old and I was complimented on how well their teeth were this year - drive on this year to promote dogs with healthy teeth.

Hard chews and dry kibble are okay, however if you want to give your pups/dogs something they can get their teeth into, get them raw meaty marrow bones. Scoop out most of the marrow for young pups and discard as until they are older it could make them a bit loose. Just leave a bit inside the bone so they can get the taste. There really is nothing better for jaw exercise and nice sparkly strong teeth

Personally I have always found Pedigree a bit rich but there are loads of dogs fed on it and do well - if you are happy with it, dogs are okay I would stick with it.

AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Nothing can prevent plaque build-up but dried food does naturally scrape off food debris; treats and toys that are helpful for the teeth will also help but at the end of the day they still might need some detal work. We brush our dogs teeth twice a day with Lintbells Microfibre Toothcleaners which is like a microfibre fingerstall and you just use it to clean their teeth. We have always fed our dogs and cats dried food but the cats still needed some work as they got older (they are 13 now)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Although I advocate dry food, with the way most of our puppies have devoured it with little or no chewing, I have serious doubts about how much it helps with teeth.
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i agree with that point labman,,,i noticed that what bit they did eat was swallowed rather than chewd..but mixed in their meat they do seem to chew it a little better

thanx all xxxx