View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2007, 12:48 AM

Training classes in the Southport/Merseyside area?

Hiya

I've decided I'm really not happy with the class Alfie is currently part of, and am looking for another class. The problem is, good training classes are rare around here and I'm having real trouble finding a good class by googling. Anyone got a good reccomendation? We can probably travel around half an hour, maybe a little more.

I'd like him to do agility/obedience when he is older, perhaps competitively, but I know with the agility in particular waiting lists can be rediculous so I'd like to get him on one now if it's going to be a year wait. But with training classes being rare here, agility and obedience classes that actually know what they're doing are even rarer, and I've hand no look at all. Found a great looking one but it's up in manchester and that's a good hour away, just seems like it wouldn't be worth it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
how far for you to delamere forest?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.fasttrackdogtraining.co.uk/
This is a dog class in south Liverpool. I know Duboing uses them and has been happy...so it may be worth trying. I know one of the trainers and she's just lovely....they don't do agility etc but they may be able to recommend someone....have you tried East Lans...they are near Southport????
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Alice have you looked on the APDT members list ..
http://www.apdt.co.uk/list_trainers.asp
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
East Lancs is close, but more expensive than we can afford. Over £100 for the puppy class alone. edit - £200 for a 3 month membership.

Fudgley, according to the AA route finder, 1 hour 7 minutes. Bit far for us I'm afraid.

I'm not sure exacrtly were the one in liverpool is, but I'm worried it might be too far again. It takes us a good 45 minutes to get into Liverpool and I'm not sure my dad would be up for driving me that far for an hour. edit - found a postcode for them, 35 minutes. That's not bad AT ALL. Only problem is, he's getting older now, he's 16/17 weeks and we've been through a training course so he knows sit down etc..., would they still let him in?

I'm AA-routing all the APDT ones, but most are on the wirral.

This is so frustrating!

edit - the Dogs Trust one is 33 minutes away according to the planner thing, that might work! Anyone know anything about it? A few of the others are about 40 minutes away, including the only one that says it does agility but I'm not sure what my dads reaction would be to that.

We can get into one run by the southport alsation training club, anyone hear anything about them?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
the dogs trust is a nice place if it is at the one in huyton..can anyone else tell us more?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
It is the one in Huyton and they have APDT trainers based there, Fudgley I think they use the hall thing at the bottom of the field on the way in but I'm not sure. I'm sure the classes are good if they are APDT people but i don't know anyone who has been.

Alice, Helen's classes (Fast Track) run for about 8 weeks at a time I think and yes, I'm sure they would still accept you even though you have been elsewhere. I highly recommend them, you could also PM DuBoing and ask her as I know she took Bongo (and still does I think). May be worth an email to them, as I say Helen is lovely and adores puppies!!!!!! I seriously wouldn't recommend anyone I didn't think was absolutely top notch.... she is also anAPDT member.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2007, 01:19 PM
They might be worth a thought then Ramble, thanks! After he's finished his eight week course, is there anything else we can go onto? I'd really love to get into competitive obedience but have no idea how.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
hi Alice, I've heard of a course around Warrington way that is supposed to be excellent but I can't think for the life of me where it was...Cronton maybe????
If you mention it in your email to Helen, she may have a better idea???
Good luck!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I'll have a look around!

I found a ringcraft class, 10 minutes away from us and it's on the first Tuesday of each month. We've never done anything like that before but it can't do any harm can it? I'm going to email them and askif I can come to the next class and if you have to haveany experience.

Just the agility or obedience now. I did find a class that said the did it 30 minutes away, but in the description it said they did something called "Defensive Of Handler" which sounds dodgy to me...

I'll speak to my dad Rambler and then email, thanks!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >