View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Marking - any advice other than having him done? (does castration prevent marking?)

Loki has started marking alot when out on walks, he spends alot of time sniffing around and marking where other dogs have been. When I took him to PAH last he had just been for a wee outside but still pee'd up a stack of boxes after sniffing it, he also pee'd up the table leg at our obedience class this week (was quite funny cause was nearly up the stuck up receptionists leg and she wasnt impressed! )
I dont want to not be able to take Loki places but also am not keen on having him castrated unless I have to, but thats the only advice I keep getting!
He hasnt marked in the house or anything but then we never have other dogs in our house so he may not feel the need to mark he rarely bothers to cock his leg to pee at home but does all the time when out.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Would guess he is not yet adult, most adult dogs have learned what is acceptable and what is not and do not go in for inappropriate marking. Adolescent dogs do mark everything that is more than 2" high, it is just a male adolescent thing, all breeds, in fact all animals including humans behave in a less than acceptable manner when in their adolescence, particularly males but most grow out of it, there are a few who don't, again mostly humans.

Castration can't be guaranteed to work, and I would not advise castration whilst the dog in it's adolescents as castration may 'fix' the problem rather than cure it, wait till the dog is adult and then assess the situation.

If the dog is an adult then ignore my remarks.
janet68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi

Last weekend we went to a car boot and decided to take Inca and Toby with us. Nice day etc etc. Happily walking round the isles until one bloke said "Watch your dog will you" in not so pleasant a tone. I replied "Yes I will do, whats your problem" guess what Toby had done....he he he...he had only peed on a set of curtains he had on the floor....he he. I didnt know where to put myself. So curtains (pure tat by the way) cost me £3.00. I have laughed every day about it. I find that Toby pees in places he doesnt know and when one of my girls are in season he pees on my dining room table leg.

Take care
Janet
xx
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
Would guess he is not yet adult, most adult dogs have learned what is acceptable and what is not and do not go in for inappropriate marking. Adolescent dogs do mark everything that is more than 2" high, it is just a male adolescent thing, all breeds, in fact all animals including humans behave in a less than acceptable manner when in their adolescence, particularly males but most grow out of it, there are a few who don't, again mostly humans.

Castration can't be guaranteed to work, and I would not advise castration whilst the dog in it's adolescents as castration may 'fix' the problem rather than cure it, wait till the dog is adult and then assess the situation.

If the dog is an adult then ignore my remarks.
Thankyou for your reply he is as you say not an adult yet he is only 7 months old, and I had thought it was an age thing but when he pee'd at my obedience class I was made to feel very stupid for thinking he may grow out of it and was told in no uncertain terms it would get worse with age and there was only one way to stop it!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by janet68
Hi

Last weekend we went to a car boot and decided to take Inca and Toby with us. Nice day etc etc. Happily walking round the isles until one bloke said "Watch your dog will you" in not so pleasant a tone. I replied "Yes I will do, whats your problem" guess what Toby had done....he he he...he had only peed on a set of curtains he had on the floor....he he. I didnt know where to put myself. So curtains (pure tat by the way) cost me £3.00. I have laughed every day about it. I find that Toby pees in places he doesnt know and when one of my girls are in season he pees on my dining room table leg.

Take care
Janet

xx
Lol how embarrasing! At least they wernt expensive ones!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:47 PM
In my experience it is an age thing but others may not think so, can only say I have found that cocking up peoples legs etc stops with maturity and they only do it again if a bitch is in season somewhere close, even then experienced stud dogs are laid back and wait their time.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks Pita, I dont want to get him castrated so will just see if he grows out of it, and be extra vigilant in the mean time! My only worry is if he marks when I stay with my dad and his dogs but they are both spayed males so hopefully it shouldnt be a problem, other than that we dont go many places indoors where other dogs have been.