Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Windows XP Advice

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help we with some computer advice please. I need to install Windows XP to my computer but as it was pre installed when I bought it I don't have any discs.

I've found some sites that still have it but they have something called OEM in the title, what does this mean and are they gennuine copies?

Thank you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry - I`m not clear. Do you mean you have an existing copy of Windows XP on your computer and need to re-install?
If so, you need to find out the number specific to your copy.
It may be on a little sticker on the side of your computer.
Any Windows XP CD will install it - up to the point when it aks for your licence number. Only original copies have the number on them, and Microsoft keeps an online record.
If you are buying a copy now (and they are fairly cheap because XP is being phased out) look for the inclusion of a Licence or Key which has not been activated previously. This means the number has not already been used.

OEM software is software produced or retailed by someone other than the original manufacturer (i.e. not miscrosoft) I believe. You`d be better off with an original one.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-01-2010, 11:20 AM
OEM means it's provided to retailers to install for a customer. Not intended for end consumers.

Do yourself a favour and have a look at Ubuntu Or Linux Mint. Much better than an ageing (2 releases old!!!) system!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2010, 01:57 PM
OEM is genuine.

i bought OEM XP when i had my PC specially built and delivered by overclockers.

basically, you dont get the fancy packaging you get if you bought your PC pre built and installed from a shop

the shop should have given you the disc, you ought to chase them up
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2010, 10:05 AM
What OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer this is Genuine software its just that you don't get any user manuals with it as it is intended for makers of pc's.

If you can get a friends copy of OEM windows Install disk use that to reinstall just use your own COA thats the 25 digit code on your pc you will not be breaking any laws what so ever neither will your friend by lending you just the disk.

But what you might find is that windows might not install all of the drviers needed for the hardware installed on your pc you would have to go to the correct manufacture of each piece of hardware thar was not installed correctly to download and install the drivers.

Hope this helps a little

Marie