Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Sweet Fanny Adams/Sweet F A

As some of us could recall being called Fanny Adams in our youth and also had heard the phrase Sweet F A I thought I'd google to find out who Fanny Adams was.
Poor little mite......

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/curt...anny-adams.htm

Poor Fanny's headstone, erected by Public subscription in 1874, and renovated a few years ago, still stands in the town cemetery on the Old Odiham Road. It might have been our only reminder of the tragic affair had it not been for the macabre humour of British Sailors.
Served with tins of mutton as the latest shipboard convenience food in 1869, they gloomily declared that their butchered contents must surely be 'Sweet Fanny Adams'. Gradually accepted throughout the armed services as a euphemism for 'sweet nothing' it passed into common usage.

As an aside, the large tins in which the meat was packed for the royal navy, were often used as mess tins and it appears that even today mess tins are colloquially known as 'fannys'.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Very interesting Wishbone. I was called "Fanny Adams" as a child by my Mum sometimes, so now all is clear! Thank You
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
..... and I'd always though Sweet F A meant sweet f**k all

Horrible story but obviously true with a gravestone and all that.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting post thank you. I had read a bit about it before, but that artical filled in the gaps thank you.

I was called Fanny by gaslight as a child. I wonder if that is connected? Or is that to do with florence nightingale?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Becky - Very interesting I'm the same as you as I also only know the expression and thought the abbreviation FA meant something totally different.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
i love articles like this, the history of a name i find fasinating.

a very sad story, but its good to know where the phrase comes from.

i call my daughter Fanny Annie.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Interesting post thank you. I had read a bit about it before, but that artical filled in the gaps thank you.

I was called Fanny by gaslight as a child. I wonder if that is connected? Or is that to do with florence nightingale?
Like you my Gran used to say ''Fanny by gaslight''

Interesting find there, I love to find out these things, maybe some of us think it's useless info, but makes you look so brainy, when you can relate where and why somethings are said.

Thanks for that.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Like you my Gran used to say ''Fanny by gaslight''

Interesting find there, I love to find out these things, maybe some of us think it's useless info, but makes you look so brainy, when you can relate where and why somethings are said.

Thanks for that.
I've just remembered there was an old black and white film called Fanny by Gaslight.....but not sure why we would be called after a film!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I've just remembered there was an old black and white film called Fanny by Gaslight.....but not sure why we would be called after a film!
Do you know your right.....I'll have to look that up and see if there is any other thing other than a film.

All I remember was her saying that, and I always thought it was because in those days her farm house had gas lights but as a kid you always think of the simplest things don't you xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Very interesting Becki.
My Gran used to call me Lizzie dripping, is that connected to Fannys friend Lizzie do you suppose??
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >