Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's great that more people are considering buying free range chickens after the recent programmes, but I have to say I do wonder what will happen to the poor farmers (for want of a better word) are going to do now people aren't buying their birds?

After all, isn't it the giant supermarket chains that have caused the situation in the first place (as with dairy farmers and milk prices) by wanting ever cheaper produce to sell?

I'm not saying don't buy free range, I just feel the programme could've made more of a point about the supermarkets probably playing a big part in these poor chicken suffering in the first place.
How awful! I didn't see the programme.

Funnily enough we were talking the other day (before this programme) about buying better quality chicken - although I'd happily go fish and veg anyway.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I definitely feel large supermarket chains have a huge part to play. However, as far as the "farmers" are concerned though, I hope it will encourage more to look towards producing free range birds. I am afraid I don't really see the people who produce battery or indoor birds as "farmers" as such though so I doubt that will happen
No, farmers perhaps isn't the best way to describe them, but I couldn't think of a better word! Sadly I do think that once the images are out of peoples minds, they'll go back to buying intensively farmed chickens. Like that stupid woman on the programme!
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Oh I think they did, with the farmers showing they get 3p profit from each chicken.
Then there was that farmer who had two different systems, for the supermarkets he did the intensive farming.
I think we should all be aware how manipulative the big supermarkets are at price fixing, or rather price bullying their producers, whether it be milk, bread, chicken etc.

There was that Ch4 programme on Tesco's once, who had asked a farmer to sell them all his lettuces at X pence. Then when they were ready to be harvested, they said they weren't going to pay full price.
It was too late for him to find anyone else to buy them, as lettuces have a set harvest time, so he refused in principal as they had reneged on the deal. So they told him they didn't want them and he was facing losing everything because of their greed.

I can also remember seeing a bbc programme years ago about how Tesco's treated their african growers of mangetout.... and how they price bullied them too.

That's why I hate Tesco.
I have to say we're probably one of the few towns left in the country not to have a Tesco. They applied for planning permission to build on the old bus station, but the public vote basically yold them to p*ss off!

Turns out later that they'd mislead people into believing their supermarket wouldn't damage local businesses by producing "made up" stats!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Oh I think they did, with the farmers showing they get 3p profit from each chicken.
Then there was that farmer who had two different systems, for the supermarkets he did the intensive farming.
I think we should all be aware how manipulative the big supermarkets are at price fixing, or rather price bullying their producers, whether it be milk, bread, chicken etc.

There was that Ch4 programme on Tesco's once, who had asked a farmer to sell them all his lettuces at X pence. Then when they were ready to be harvested, they said they weren't going to pay full price.
It was too late for him to find anyone else to buy them, as lettuces have a set harvest time, so he refused in principal as they had reneged on the deal. So they told him they didn't want them and he was facing losing everything because of their greed.

I can also remember seeing a bbc programme years ago about how Tesco's treated their african growers of mangetout.... and how they price bullied them too.

That's why I hate Tesco.
I'm not a Tesco lover either, the dairy I work for is thinking of making butter for Tesco and Tesco have told them that they (the dairy) have to pay the £800 odd bill for transport
Becky
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I watched the program (already knew how they lived/were killed etc), but i'm one of the people who can't afford to buy free range chicken.
If I bought a free range chicken, thats 2 or 3 other ingredients meals that I wouldn't be able to buy. (And no, I don't buy any ready meals/frozen food).
We eat meat/pasta/fresh veg every day - veg from the local market.

My eggs are free range - my sister, Isochick gives them to me, from her own chickens.

I'm afraid at the moment, free range eggs are the only way I can help!

Oh, and I also shop at Tesco, cos it's my nearest supermarket - 1/2 a mile away!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
No, farmers perhaps isn't the best way to describe them, but I couldn't think of a better word! Sadly I do think that once the images are out of peoples minds, they'll go back to buying intensively farmed chickens. Like that stupid woman on the programme!
I also think this will happen, more's the pity
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I watched the program (already knew how they lived/were killed etc), but i'm one of the people who can't afford to buy free range chicken.
If I bought a free range chicken, thats 2 or 3 other ingredients meals that I wouldn't be able to buy.
Could you perhaps try buying a free range chicken (if you do eat chicken) and making 2 meals out of it, or else eat less meat of a better quality. This is what I did when I lived on my own.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Just got back from my M & S shop armed with one of their chickens. It's an Oakham, it doesn't state that it's free range on the pack, but then they had a great big notice up on the shelf stating that their Oakham chickens were allowed to roam free, etc. etc. I can't remember all of it, so that suits me fine.

In actual fact, you get far more meat on the more expensive "free range" type chickens than you do on the cheap ones from Tesco (which I just wouldn't eat anyway)because they are all pumped full of water, so by the time you cook it, you've probably got less meat per £1 anyway?

The only reason I won't eat anything but free range, or farm shop, butcher, whatever, is because I saw a very scarey programme about what was going on with some of that condemned chicken. They had it piled up in mounds at various farms around the Country, stinking and rotting, and then they took it inside and bleached it etc. etc. and when it was packed (especially the skinless breasts!) it looked just like the stuff you see on the supermarket shelves. I like to know where mine has come from thankyou!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 02:25 PM
i do appreciate some people can't afford free range....but I agree with H, you do get more meat on a free range bird and it tastes better too...what about the RSPCA freedom foods? Not quite totally free range...but an improvement non the less????
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Could you perhaps try buying a free range chicken (if you do eat chicken) and making 2 meals out of it, or else eat less meat of a better quality. This is what I did when I lived on my own.
We dont just use a chicken for 1 meal!
It does 2 or 3 meals, then the rest goes on sandwiches for lunches, and the bits we can't eat - Teagan has!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 03:04 PM
We actually don't eat a lot of chicken anyway!

I would never buy a whole chicken.

We use our local butchers who supply free range, local meat (chicken, beef, lamb and pork).

I buy either their individual breast fillets, or their diced chicken, which is leg meat etc which they've removed from the chicken and diced.

Eggs are from my own 4 chickens in the garden

Actually, thinking about it, we don't eat a lot of meat generally.....
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >