Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Well done Becky. x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Well done I hope you thoroughly enjoy your free-range chicken birthday dinner.

I always buy free range from the local butcher. I find their chicken far more succulent and tasty than any supermarket type (free-range or not).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I personally think this free range issue is another case of mass public hysteria being whipped up
Could you explain? Ta.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I went to M & S today and got an Oakham chicken breast joint (not a whole chicken as I don't do bones ) and this actually states on the front that it is free range, funnily enough it was the last one, but they had plenty of the ordinary breast joints left, I wonder if its cos everyone has been watching those programmes.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Well it's only a good thing! Made me laugh watching the programme that most of the people complaining about the prices were sitting in a pub or smoking
Becky
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I went to M & S today and got an Oakham chicken breast joint (not a whole chicken as I don't do bones ) and this actually states on the front that it is free range, funnily enough it was the last one, but they had plenty of the ordinary breast joints left, I wonder if its cos everyone has been watching those programmes.
Yes, they said the ONLY sell oakham chickens, but they are not necessarily free-range.
We're going to do some hunting round, and I'll speak to my butcher as we are surrounded by farms so there must be some that sell their own, as I buy eggs that way.

Please not I will not be going to Jamie's Farm for one as I am not that rich lol! Nice meat, but at a price.
I did think on the way past there today, if the Essex pig is a rare breed, why are we eating them? lol
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Have to say I couldn't get one yesterday and had to do without as I couldn't get one .Met a woman I know who was in Morrisons buying chicken too.I put her right off the cheap stuff by explaining about the stains on the chickens alone didn't have to go into other details Thats my good deed done for the day I wont be buying anything other than free range from now on inc eggs .I know with the bird flu thing they are going to be kept inside but I can still see them being better looked after at the end of the day and not all crammed in unable to move around hanging around in their own muck etc,xxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I didn't see the programme, but I have known for years about the stains on the legs, and another good pointer is the size of the neck they leave on the chicken. You'll notice that cheap chickens have almost no neck skin (where you stuff it!) but the M & S which I thought were free range, have a lot of neck skin left on the bird, and that tells a lot!

Having read Toby's post about the M & S Oakham chickens, did you notice they have 2 different types of chicken on the shelves??? One is a lot cheaper, one is stuffed, and one is a lot dearer, i.e. from £4 odd to £7 odd for the same bird, and I strongly suspect the £7 bird is definitely free range. I'm going to check up tomorrow coz I go over there on a Monday morning and I'll report back!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I always read the label on food as I know they fool peeps into thinking coz theres a lovely piccie on the pack it distracts you from the wording, xxxxxxxxx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Having read Toby's post about the M & S Oakham chickens, did you notice they have 2 different types of chicken on the shelves??? One is a lot cheaper, one is stuffed, and one is a lot dearer, i.e. from £4 odd to £7 odd for the same bird, and I strongly suspect the £7 bird is definitely free range. I'm going to check up tomorrow coz I go over there on a Monday morning and I'll report back!
I saw they had two different types of Oakham's stuffed and non-stuffed. The one I picked was non-stuffed, and not free-frange.
All M&S chickens are Oakhams, you just have to read if they are free-range or not, and our M&S has no free-range at all.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »