Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:23 AM

My hunt for a free range chicken!

.... and I don't mean I had one that escaped!

for my birthday dinner today we all agreed we'd have a nice roastie chicken, and after watching the chicken progs on tv we have now agreed it's free range all the way for us.

So, yesterday, I thought I'll pop into M&S to get nice one, (bound to get a nice one in there, thought I).
Wrong!
Picked up an Oakham chicken (which has the nice picture of green grass on it's label) and was standing at the checkout, when I noticed it didn't actually say free-range.
I was fooled by the pic!
So I asked, and no it wasn't free-range. The manager was called and explained that it wasn't free-range but as the guidelines are 33 chickens per area, M&S only put in 30.
Ok, says I but I'd rather have free-range, so I'll go and swap it for a free range one.

...and the reply was.....
'But we don't sell any free-range chickens'.

Now I know it is a small store, but to not sell any. So I put my 'slightly more room than normal' chicken back on the shelf, and said in a loud voice 'I'm quite shocked that this M&S don't sell ANY free-range chickens!'... and a man who was just choosing his chicken started reading the label a bit more carefully!

So, I went to Tesco's.
No, they don't stock them either .

So, thanks to Morrison's, I was able to get a nice, large free-range RSPCA freedom food chicken.... and they had loads!

Our resolution is now to buy free-range whenever we can.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Good for you and what a surprise, especially M&S as I pack their organic butter, you'd think they'd do free range
Hope you enjoy your rather expensive in petrol free range chicken, I'm sure you will notice the difference in taste!
Becky
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:36 AM
With the introduction of bird flu into this country they may well be a thing of the past anyway.
If all the poultry are being moved in doors for protection, how does this make them free range?
I personally think this free range issue is another case of mass public hysteria being whipped up
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:37 AM
You would think in this day and age you would be able to get a free range chicken in any supermarket ,I agree with you Becky im shocked also xxdk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Well you've certainly opened my eyes on this one Becky!!! I always thought their Oakham chickens were free range to, and they are the ONLY chickens I ever buy for us. For one thing, they taste like chicken ought to taste, like it did when Granny used to cook it years ago. I wasn't so sure about the fact that they roamed around free I have to admit, but I think they sort of own the farm, these are the ONLY chickens they supply so to me that was far better than not knowing the source if you see what I mean. I did have a vision in my head though of nice little brown chickens roaming around on grass, but now you've managed to dispel that one for me!!

I will still buy them because they are the best, I've been through them all! Sainsbury's do a "free range" I have bought them in the past, but they are totally tasteless and cost the same as M & S, about £7, and I did think I bought one from Tesco once, they look sort of skinny and are priced around £7 as well? It definitely said "free range" on both those labels too! I will have to put my specs on and look at the small print from now on then!

ps. A Very Happy Birthday and enjoy your free range chicken!!! xxxxxx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 11:41 AM
ive only ever had free range eggs and chickens... sainsburys sell loads of different types! also there is less fat in free range than caged..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 12:01 PM
watch that too on TV.....wondered about getting one.....thanks now I know where from...
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Just been to morrisons and bought a free range chicken,(twice the price of the others,I can afford to do this but there must be so many people cant ) and free range eggs.

Jeanette
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Tesco do stock free range and organic chicken...the organic is free range too.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Just been to morrisons and bought a free range chicken,(twice the price of the others,I can afford to do this but there must be so many people cant ) and free range eggs.

Jeanette
I think it is down to what you do. Many people buy a whole chicken and only eat the breast, if they used the whole chicken then it would be more cost effective and also this is a welfare issue.
I can't really afford free range but I intend to adjust my eating habits and eat smaller portions of quality humane meat rather than stuff my face with large quantities of badly produced meat.
Becky
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »