View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Staffy gives a good licking (how to stop him licking people's skin?)

This might sound odd but one of my dogs keeps licking me.
I`ve got three dogs and this one in particular always wants to lick. Its mainly me and my feet and legs he starts with and he is VERY persistant! I end up with the hairs on my legs combed over!
Now, there isn`t any sick end to this problem. Its just that once he starts he doesn`t stop, he`ll go from me to my O/H, then around the other 2 dogs. In the end the noise of him doing it drives you mad.
He is the oldest, the dominant dog and a danger to bare skin. Has anyone experienced this before? and any ideas on how I might stop him apart from covering myself in something?! Which might be fun without the dog!.

P.S I am quite clean thanks so its not my sweaty feet he`s enjoying!.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:58 PM
aww i havent got any tips on how to stop it but one my boy loves to constantly wash my one arm and my other boy loves to watch your face and ears all the time
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I started a thread very similiar to this a while back!! Hoollie licks us a lot - I think we all came to the conclusion she loves us!

I firm no and moving when it starts might help, but I think some dogs just like to lick!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi minter licking is normal behaviour in dogs, they lick themselves and each other as part of the grooming process.

I think they like the taste of human skin particularly in warm weather when the skin is sweaty/salty . However the licking can become a habit and excessive and if you think this may be happening it should be discouraged either by pushing the dog off and using a word like 'stop' (keep the word to use just in this instance) every time the dog attempts to lick you and substitute a toy for your foot .
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
LOL

My hubby gets Bruno to lick his elbows as he swears it improves his dry skin on them !!!

So he now does it on command - you say "kiss the elbows and he will go and lick Phils elbows"

however I hate having to listen to him lick himself over and over - he likes to do it in the morning when you are trying to get an extra 10 minutes and I swear he does it cos he knows it gets me up as I cant listen to it any longer !! LOl