Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Beds...

Well, the time has come when I may not always be able to manage the stairs so I am aiming to make what was the sitting room into a bedroom for winter. Well, part of it as I need part for a workroom.. but I have a huge hand sewn patchwork quilt I can use as a screen..

There is only one bed here; and it is too huge and heavy and I want to keep the upstairs option.

But in the gales we get these winters downstairs is safer anyways from falling trees..

So I went online and cannot believe the prices of the simplest beds.

I am looking at second hand and will use a cheap air mattress. Yukk to a used mattress

But even so!

Will end up sleeping on an air mattress on the floor if this goes on but have emailed Vincent De paul who do second hand stuff.
How do folk manage setting up house....
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 02:37 PM
i usually just got for a metal bedframe, that way they are easy to dismantle when i move... also i can store stuff underneath it and they seem to be the cheapest option. I am not sure if you can get isme in ireland (i think you can) as i found a cheap (really cheap) double bed frame, it is nothing flash but would probably be o.k
http://www.isme.com/houston-metal-be...cc_25025746638
my dad just got a brand new memory foam mattress off ebay for about £90 which i was gobsmacked at as it is actually a decent mattress, if you look on ebay under the daily deals there are quite often beds and mattress's for a very reasonable price. Other than that in the uk we have a thing called "freecycle" where people give away the stuff that no longer want/need, also there are a few [a social network] groups so maybe that is something you could look at?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i usually just got for a metal bedframe, that way they are easy to dismantle when i move... also i can store stuff underneath it and they seem to be the cheapest option. I am not sure if you can get isme in ireland (i think you can) as i found a cheap (really cheap) double bed frame, it is nothing flash but would probably be o.k
http://www.isme.com/houston-metal-be...cc_25025746638
my dad just got a brand new memory foam mattress off ebay for about £90 which i was gobsmacked at as it is actually a decent mattress, if you look on ebay under the daily deals there are quite often beds and mattress's for a very reasonable price. Other than that in the uk we have a thing called "freecycle" where people give away the stuff that no longer want/need, also there are a few 'another site' groups so maybe that is something you could look at?
Thanks; am in Ireland and a long way from anywhere which makes it harder.
Even the prices you quote are way beyond me.
Saw a single wooden bed on Vincent de Paul Tralee ( their book face page is wonderful!) for E60 but not this month even that. I have emailed them in case they have a cheaper one or one less than perfect they will give as I am a pensioner.
If i get to Tralee today there is a second hand furniture place along the way so may have some luck there. I can get an air mattress cheaply.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Well, I am nearly 5'9" in height and am about 240 lbs now unfortunately. Added in that my 85 lb dog has a bad habit of sleeping on my bed, ANY regular frame easily bends/breaks within a short time. I have to get steel frames, and they still don't hold up worth anything.

If you are not heavy and if you use a small single sized bed like I do... mayhap this might work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Also easily moves about if you need it to. As for the mattresses, if you have IKEA or Costco there, you can try them. Also Ebay might be a good place to check for stuff like this.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Do shops like Asda, Tesco, Argos deliver in your area. They are often cheaper.

Try also looking for the smaller bed shops, they sometimes have 'bargains'
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Not sure whereabouts in the emerald isle you are but you could try preloved? i saw a 'belfast' bed for about £35 hardly used (spare room) its good for bargains x
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2014, 03:54 AM
I'm even thinking of gently used-in the states the Salvation Army goodwill shops often have bed frames and furniture very inexpensive. A new coat of paint or wood stain and you have pieces that can last for decades.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Charity chops often have have good furniture which is cheap.
They also make sure it is reasonable before they sell it.

Sally
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
If you feel iffy about a used mattress you could consider a mattress topper. I have a memory foam one that was not expensive and it's really comfortable even for a bigbird like me.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
If you could get hold of a steam cleaner, you could steam clean the mattress if it's second hand.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >