View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Well guys, as much as I love open fires, I think you have rightly put me off getting one - sounds like they are too much like hard work

Maybe a wood burner is a better idea... but aren't they mega bucks?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Azz, no way are they hard work!!!! If I can boil the kettle in the time it takes to get the ashes out, set a new one, light it and have it burning away quite merrily by the time the kettle boils, then it can't be that hard....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-11-2012, 12:42 AM
What about the dust/ashes going everywhere June?

I haven't totally ruled one out, might even try one in the basement/lower ground floor and see how it goes first - hopefully (as heat rises) we may not need any in the rest of the house
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What about the dust/ashes going everywhere June?

I haven't totally ruled one out, might even try one in the basement/lower ground floor and see how it goes first - hopefully (as heat rises) we may not need any in the rest of the house
Azz! Come on mate, get a life!! So what about the dust and ashes? If you are careful, they don't go everywhere - for sure, an open fire or a stove makes extra work, of course it does. But where's the romance in a boring gas fire? Where's the joy of gathering your own fuel on a bright and crispy morning? The basement is an excellent idea, because the stove or open fire will heat the floor of the room above very nicely. Our Coalbrookdale is right underneath our bedroom on my side of the bed, so when I leap out of bed in the mornings, the laminate is all lovely and toasty!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well guys, as much as I love open fires, I think you have rightly put me off getting one - sounds like they are too much like hard work

Nooooo, they are not that much work. I love my open fire, it was well worth ripping a horribly ugly gas fire out for. (I just wish whoever the heathen was who removed the original Victorian fireplace had left it alone). I can cope with it even though I've got a problem with my spine. I just have to be sensible and not carry too much coal at once or get Jon to fetch it in.

Plus, having an open fire means you can burn a lot of your rubbish, so less stuff going to landfill.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2012, 09:37 AM
We have woodburning stove it's the best thing ever ! It cost just over £1000 but is well worth it . Gas fires are expensive too ! The dogs absolutely love it and so do I . Sometimes I just put it on when it's a horrible day and I feel miserable , it cheers me up . Takes minutes to clean out and doesn't create a whole lot of dust or mess . My life would be poorer without it .
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-11-2012, 10:50 AM
But everybody has to clean and dust, its a fact of life, so it isn't as though you are having to do stuff that you would'nt do anyway. Just part of my routine nowadays. It takes me 20 mins to go into the wood place, go in their skip by the saw and fill my sacks full of FREE wood and then put it in the back of the car. The lads like me because they don't have to lug the whole lot to the outside skip, the owner likes me because it means less to pay out to the skip people to come and empty it because I have already taken the wood, I like it because it gives me free heat and water, nothing going to landfill either, win win all round.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2012, 12:11 PM
You don't have to clean out Woodburners that often, they need a good bed of ash and wood burns away to almost nothing.

I have a little dustpan and brush by the WB and just use that for any spills. Not used mine much lately as we had a chimney fire a couple of years ago which resulted in me evacuating 8 dogs to be on the safe side, it was pretty scary at the time.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2012, 02:29 PM
We have a multi-fuel stove, it can burn wood, coal, almost any thing really. We get wood and felled trees given to us and if we see any branches by the roadside we pick them up, and I think last winter the cost to run it was about £10 a week including heating and hot water Cant complain at that...

I love it, it's cosy and well worth the cleaning and a little extra dusting, and when we get power cuts, we always have a meal and a cuppa.

Go for it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
We have a multi-fuel stove, it can burn wood, coal, almost any thing really. We get wood and felled trees given to us and if we see any branches by the roadside we pick them up, and I think last winter the cost to run it was about £10 a week including heating and hot water Cant complain at that...

I love it, it's cosy and well worth the cleaning and a little extra dusting, and when we get power cuts, we always have a meal and a cuppa.

Go for it.
Hey! You're a fellow spirit - a woodsman!! Isn't it GREAT having free wood? We don't get it given to us, we have to carry it ourselves - or rather I do, OH flatly refuses to - and our Coalbrookdale will heat 15 rads and fill a huge tank with hot water too! It will boil a kettle too and you can use it like a slow cooker and do a stew or soup on the top. What make do you have?
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »