Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:12 AM

Grass Burnt due to dog wee !! Help....

Hello

WEll as some of you know I had a lovely lawn put down in April, and its been doing well. However due to the very hot weather we have experienced, I now have burnt patches on the lawn due to what I can only assume is where Bruno is wee-ing and the sun is then scorching it.

Any ideas what I can do to rectify it / and for future how do I stop it - I thought it was just bitches that had bad pee for lawns !!

I dont want to put any kind of lawnfeed on it just now - like evergreen or anything as ur not supposed to put that on a new lawn..

any ideas?
dani
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Well, you could try Dog Rocks: http://dogrocks.net/

No idea if they do actually work.

The best solution is to hose off or throw a bucket of water on the spot as soon as the dog has finished.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
There's not a reat deal you can do with the scorched patches, other than either re-turfing the bad bits or putting down some grass seed in the Autumn.

Try watering the burnt bits and see if and grass grows back. It may well recover once the summer is over.

If you catch Bruno peeing on the lawn, go out with a bucket of water throw it over where he's peed. Urine is high in Nitrogen and Ammonia, both can burn grass and plants (although when diluted, the Nitrogen acts as a plant feed)

Hope your grass recovers.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
haha - before I clicked on the link Sb I thought - god you want me to chuck rocks at my dog when he is peeing !! LOL

Will have a look at that, but will have a bucket of water handy for the moment - because we are going through a house extension we dont have an outside tap at the moment which is why I have been lazy and not doing it !! LOL
thanks
dani
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:31 AM
thanks wolfie - will try the water first and see how it goes - luckily he tends to pee at the bottom of the garden so hopefully will not start creeping up the garden and kill the rest of the lawn !!
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Try hosing it down 2 times a day, a good hosing in the morning then once at night, if you do it early enough, it will soon dry ready for sun bathing
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
How come some people say their dogs pee doesn't kill the grass and others do??...Both my male and female dogs kill the grass and are fed on a high quality food??...I wonder how come some dogs don't have the same affect on grass?
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
That's definatley a mystery indeed. Dibley's wee has never made any difference to our lawn. He generrally wee's against a fence post though in the same spot each time.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm sure my boy Takoda wouldn't have such an impact on the grass as his female counterpart but he still squats!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Loki has turned our once green and lush lawn into a brown, patchy wilderness.
He's started on the laurels now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >