Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Nigel Farage vs mothers: "sit in a corner" when breastfeeding

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said women should not breastfeed in public in an "openly ostentatious" way because "some people feel very embarrassed by it".

Mr Farage was asked on his regular LBC phone-in about a recent incident at Claridge's hotel in London where a mother was asked to cover up with a napkin while feeding her baby daughter.

It should be for businesses to decide their own rules, he said.

But he said it was fine for a woman to be asked to "perhaps sit in a corner".

Downing Street said it was "for Mr Farage to explain his views" and it was unacceptable for mothers to be made to feel uncomfortable.
For once I agree with Downing Street, that mothers should not be made to feel uncomfortable for doing something so important for their child - feeding them naturally.

Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30342953
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Businesses of any kind should be allowed to make their own rules. What one customer may find perfectly alright, another may find totally unacceptable or even abhorrent. I personally find nothing wrong with breast feeding a baby in public it is after all as you state, a natural act. Businesses must strive to suit ALL their customers, for nowadays income, particularly as in this case from the service industry, is not easy come by, and by tact and diplomacy you have to negotiate a minefield of Regulations, Human Rights et al. Some of this is, I am sure stirred up by bolshie, left wing, Guardianistas to curry favour with the so called "liberal elite". Live and let live is my personal motto.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Businesses of any kind should be allowed to make their own rules. What one customer may find perfectly alright, another may find totally unacceptable or even abhorrent. I personally find nothing wrong with breast feeding a baby in public it is after all as you state, a natural act. Businesses must strive to suit ALL their customers, for nowadays income, particularly as in this case from the service industry, is not easy come by, and by tact and diplomacy you have to negotiate a minefield of Regulations, Human Rights et al. Some of this is, I am sure stirred up by bolshie, left wing, Guardianistas to curry favour with the so called "liberal elite". Live and let live is my personal motto.
There are plenty of "natural " acts that we would not do in public, saying breastfeeding is natural does not mean, it should be forced on others.

I`ll probably get slated for this , but being a woman who has had two children and breastfeed them both, I am not a fan, of having it rammed down my throat when I am out in a cafe.

I have no issue if you want to feed your baby out in public, but do it discreetly, the trouble is we get the " i`ll do what I want and you will have to put up with it " attitude all the time. I see plenty of woman sitting quietly in a corner covered up feeding their baby, they do it discreetly without offending anyone, you have to remember not every one is modem and up with the time, have a little respect for others too,

I once saw a young mum changing her babies nappy on the table of a cafe...........yes its natural, but who wants to sit and see a dirty nappy whilst your eating.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I agree Jackie, I really wouldn't choose to exhibit any of my 'natural body functions' in public. If I was forced into that situation, then I certainly would choose an out of the way, quiet place to do it and not make myself the centre of a display. Thats just me, and I'm sure others out there would be fine with it, I'm not though
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm with Jackie and June on this one. Why not express some milk into a bottle and take it with you if your baby is likely to want feeding when you are out!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
I'm with Jackie and June on this one. Why not express some milk into a bottle and take it with you if your baby is likely to want feeding when you are out!
Many breast-fed babies will not accept a bottle. I know that neither of mine would. If I had to feed either of my children when out, a lightweight shawl over my shoulder and the baby and nobody could see what I was doing.

Even a muslin nappy was sufficient cover to keep decorum.

It is not necessary to expose even part of a breast when nursing.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Sorry to disagree but breastfeeding is best for the baby. It is ok for someone to eat a plate of chips in public which will clog up their arteries and cost the NHS money but not OK to feed the best food for a baby that money can't buy. It is possible to breast feed discretely which I believe this woman was doing and there's nothing wrong with that in my view.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
Sorry to disagree but breastfeeding is best for the baby. It is ok for someone to eat a plate of chips in public which will clog up their arteries and cost the NHS money but not OK to feed the best food for a baby that money can't buy. It is possible to breast feed discretely which I believe this woman was doing and there's nothing wrong with that in my view.
Who said anything about what's best for baby?

Woman have been breast feeding babies for centuries, this is not a new thing, we managed to feed our babies in my day, my Mother's Day as so on, without forcing it on members of the public.

It might surprise some people but you can breast feed your children without doing it in public.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post

Woman have been breast feeding babies for centuries, this is not a new thing, we managed to feed our babies in my day, my Mother's Day as so on, without forcing it on members of the public.

It might surprise some people but you can breast feed your children without doing it in public.
Surely the most important thing is what is best for the baby. No one is forcing anything on members of the public. People can look the other way. The only way you can feed your baby when you are out is by doing it in public or, often, in disgusting toilets where you wouldn't want to eat yourself let along let your baby eat.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post

Jackie - what is a breast-feeding mother who feeds on demand supposed to do? Stay at home until the baby is weaned - and many breast-fed babies continue to be nursed until they are maybe nine months old?

No. A nursing mother is entitled to a life outside the home, the same as a bottle-feeding mother is.

You just sit quietly, cover what might possibly be seen so as not to "force" a member of the public to see something "offensive" - and nurse your baby.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >