View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Oh yes the look. Sara has that, I think she got it from me and I got it from my mum and dad. We use it at classes and she uses it when she is dealing with a young adult at school.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I am a teaching assistant and have worked in a Pupil Referral Unit (school for naughty children). I have never felt the need to physically discipline a child ..... the parents, however, are a different story. What struck me is how there are as many children there from two parent families as from single parent families. I've heard all this guff over the years about the breakdown of the family being the downfall of Great Britain etc .

I was talking to my mother about this (she is 90) and she laughed and said that there have always been loads of single parent families - either through war, illness or other reasons. She's right - two parents are no guarantee of a well brought up child and one parent is no guarantee of a badly brought up child.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Well I'm old enough to have been around when the cane was normal punishment I even received it myself on a couple of occasions...I lived in a time where if you got into trouble at school,you got it again when you got home, there was no hissy fits thrown by parents because their child got into trouble at school, you got told off ( or the cane , detention or lines ) and you knew it was no good moaning to your parents because they generally backed the school.

The problem today is no one can dish out any form of discipline, parents throw tantrums if the school dares to give detention , lines and so on.

Discipline SHOULD start at home sadly in many cases it is missing , then kids go to school knowing they can't be disciplined, and god forbid a teacher tries because they then have a parent Shouting the odds.

To be honest there are to many kids out there that could do with a good dose of discipline....and the fear of God ( or the cane) putting into them.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Jackie- I'm not a parent who doesn't back the school, or us afraid to discipline my children when they needed it. I've also worked in schools but I just don't believe that an adult hitting a child is a good thing, never have and will never agree to it. My children always have known that if they were to get in trouble at school or out they would be in serious bother with me, prob more than their dad. Best example from my son,
We were at a meeting about the annual school skiing trip - the teacher said " if the is an alcohol found in the rooms, or any trouble of sorts, blah blah ect, the parent would be phoned and told their child on their way home" my son turned to his friend and said" if school phones mum to come and fetch me, I. Running other way"
Proof to me you can discipline children without violence. I never needed to smack my 2, never had complaints ever from anyone, in fact my 2 have been commended on their manners & behaviour.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
I am a teaching assistant and have worked in a Pupil Referral Unit (school for naughty children). I have never felt the need to physically discipline a child ..... the parents, however, are a different story. What struck me is how there are as many children there from two parent families as from single parent families. I've heard all this guff over the years about the breakdown of the family being the downfall of Great Britain etc .

I was talking to my mother about this (she is 90) and she laughed and said that there have always been loads of single parent families - either through war, illness or other reasons. She's right - two parents are no guarantee of a well brought up child and one parent is no guarantee of a badly brought up child.
My mum was a single parent, believe me you didn't cross my mum lol
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Smacking, caning, slipper - they were the norm when I went to school way back when.

I was only ever physically punished once. We used a different school one afternoon per week and I was slapped for forgetting a text book. I went from loving the subject to hating it and I went from top of the class to way down low.

I think the basic problem we have now is that it was widely resented by teachers when corporal punishment in schools was stopped. We went from maintaining discipline physically to a 'what the hell' attitude.

Even back in my day, there were teachers who balked at physical punishment, but they had respect, more so than the many who would smack someone as they walked in the room for 'when they didn't catch them' (yes, that happened). They didn't need to physically punish because they had an air about then that stood no nonsense. They both taught and earned respect in the best of ways and we have lost that today.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Smacking, caning, slipper - they were the norm when I went to school way back when.

I was only ever physically punished once. We used a different school one afternoon per week and I was slapped for forgetting a text book. I went from loving the subject to hating it and I went from top of the class to way down low.

I think the basic problem we have now is that it was widely resented by teachers when corporal punishment in schools was stopped. We went from maintaining discipline physically to a 'what the hell' attitude.

Even back in my day, there were teachers who balked at physical punishment, but they had respect, more so than the many who would smack someone as they walked in the room for 'when they didn't catch them' (yes, that happened). They didn't need to physically punish because they had an air about then that stood no nonsense. They both taught and earned respect in the best of ways and we have lost that today.
Not all teachers have lost that way of teaching. I think the problem is mainly the media etc, in the 'let's tar all children and schools with the same brush' yes there are some that cause problems and come from homes where they don't seem to care, but not all are the same!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Way back when i was at school the accepted punishment was 100 lines for minor rule breaking
Slipper for more serious
Extreme cases the cane across the outstretched hand 6 hits on each, which I had once because another boy wrongly accused me of something I can honestly say I did not do .
Unfortunately the headmaster was a sadist and took great delight in giving out sever punishments, so many innocent pupils had the same treatment.
Back then there were no school inspectors (at least in private schools) to speak of and the head teacher was god and had a free reign to do what he wanted.

No this kind of punishment is best stopped apart from the first, the trouble is then how do you get pupils to respect teachers?
The USA has far more serious problems when ex students go back with a gun and shoot anyone at the school they attended. So in that respect it does not happen over here in the UK, or at least not yet.
The recent killing of a female school teacher has shaken everyone and no doubt all school will tighten up their security, but this won't stop a disgruntled ex student taking reprisals against a teacher they hate.

One has to wonder if bringing back national service would help in older teenagers set a better example when their 3 years are up?

Back to teachers
There are two types of teachers, first ones that learn how to teach and can't, and the other are the ones who can not only learn to teach but get the information over to the pupils so they get interested in a subject
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2014, 11:15 PM
TWeed - Can you imagine the problems that National Service would cause. The majority of the ghastly whelps who would end up enlisted therein would be the sort to whom no-one has ever said NO! Given Military discipline they would either crumble and be fit for nought, or you would have to build a Glasshouse at least half the size of the camp to accommodate all the ne'er do wells. Seems to me that as in the majority of homes discipline is practically non-existant, and schools have been emasculated to the point where if you even look the wrong way at the "little darlings" you become the subject of litigation, or even the loss of your livelihood, discipline should start with the finished product and work backwards. If there were proper prisons (hard labour etc) and decent sentences [passed down by the judiciary, then this would filter back and act as a deterent. As a handy bi-product of this, while locked up, the miscreants wouldn't be able to breed more of their pernicious kind and so less problem children would find their way into the system. A healthy respect for the law and courts is no bad thing, in my book, and a fear of detection and punishment would go a long way to righting some of the problems. Never having been an Educator, putting the schools system to rights, i would leave to someone better qualified to have an opinion (mine would only contain unhealthy bias). I do think though, that my other suggestions might go some way to righting a few faults. Rant over, back to my cup of tea!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2014, 11:36 PM
I agree with Gordon in that National Service couldn't cope with the wayward youth of today - unless there was an active war arena to put them into. I honestly think that their lives would have to depend on discipline for those who have baulked discipline in any shape or form and gotten away with it for most of their lives.

Discipline and respect have to be in place at an early age. We get that right and we set kids up for life. Without it - well we see the fall-out of that every day and more and more so, unfortunately.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >