Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
I certainly agree with a few of the points that you made, but yet again it comes back to the 1/20 risks that the horses are being subjected to. Whilst I agree injury can occur in any discipline, the chances are significantly smaller than 20/1. Horses can stand for very lengthy periods of time, I have known many horses cross-tied on box rest for months at a time. SOME leg fractures could be fixed that aren't. It would be a lengthy and costly treatment with a racehorse not being able to return to work, or possibly never being ridden again. Severed tendons are (ime) an injury that would most definitely require serious thought regarding euthanasia.

Could these horses have received treatment that would result in a decent quality of life? I guess we'll never know.
No, otherwise it would have been done without hesitation. Its keeping them still thats the issue. Their lungs fill up if they are kept immobilised, they are prone to pneumonic type infections and of course their legs are just not "fixable" in most cases. Veterinary science has come a long way and some breaks are now fixed, but often it just isnt possible.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The question should be, to get to that quality of life ( if they get there at all) is what they have to go through to get there.

My personal opinion is to immobilise a horse in such a way for mths on end, is not in the best interest of the horse.
I agree that it has to be a serious consideration but a horse may live for 30+ years, it would depend for me on how old the horse was at the point of injury, for a relatively young horse I wouldn't think that 4-6 months box rest would be too much to ask
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 05:44 PM
For the record. The winner, "Neptune Collonges" was retired immediately after the race. Perfectly sound and well and could if the owner chose to, race on next season. Not all about the money is it?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I certainly agree with a few of the points that you made, but yet again it comes back to the 1/20 risks that the horses are being subjected to. Whilst I agree injury can occur in any discipline, the chances are significantly smaller than 20/1. Horses can stand for very lengthy periods of time, I have known many horses cross-tied on box rest for months at a time. SOME leg fractures could be fixed that aren't. It would be a lengthy and costly treatment with a racehorse not being able to return to work, or possibly never being ridden again. Severed tendons are (ime) an injury that would most definitely require serious thought regarding euthanasia.

Could these horses have received treatment that would result in a decent quality of life? I guess we'll never know.

But to receive any treatment, should it be possible, those horses would have to suffer and would have to suffer for a considerable period of time. At the end of it, would they be fit for anything but a lifetime out in a field? Having been pampered up until that point, is it a fair end?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The question should be, to get to that quality of life ( if they get there at all) is what they have to go through to get there.

My personal opinion is to immobilise a horse in such a way for mths on end, is not in the best interest of the horse.

I agree.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
So sad... Another two lives lost for nothing...
S I G H
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
[/B]

But to receive any treatment, should it be possible, those horses would have to suffer and would have to suffer for a considerable period of time. At the end of it, would they be fit for anything but a lifetime out in a field? Having been pampered up until that point, is it a fair end?

[/B]

I agree.
As with any animal, pain relief is very manageable. Boredom can be alleviated slightly with stable amusements. Thousands of companion horses are pampered beyond belief (far more than at a racing yard). When I first took on my boy (he'd fractured his neck) we spent the first year bonding, lots of massage, walking out in hand, grooming, sitting in his stable talking to him, doing stretching exercises etc etc. He was as happy as Larry. Horses don't need to do anything to feel fulfilled, they are content with the company of their own kind as well as human companionship.

This pic is when I first got him

and this is him at the end of his recovery after having a year off work

I don't think he looks too unhappy with the hand he's been dealt

4 years after his accident he was a fairly successful show horse competing at County level.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:08 PM
So the Horse was able to move around, had the use of all his legs? Thats VERY different than not being able to. Think about that for a moment.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree that it has to be a serious consideration but a horse may live for 30+ years, it would depend for me on how old the horse was at the point of injury, for a relatively young horse I wouldn't think that 4-6 months box rest would be too much to ask
I disagree, I don't believe that the justification always outweighs the means.

It's mths of torture for a horse to be immobilised , with in many cases added problems due to being immobilised .
Thinking of a "what if", and maybe a long life in the future does not justify what has to happen in the present.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-04-2012, 06:15 PM
As with any animal, pain relief is very manageable. Boredom can be alleviated slightly with stable amusements. Thousands of companion horses are pampered beyond belief (far more than at a racing yard). When I first took on my boy (he'd fractured his neck) we spent the first year bonding, lots of massage, walking out in hand, grooming, sitting in his stable talking to him, doing stretching exercises etc etc. He was as happy as Larry. Horses don't need to do anything to feel fulfilled, they are content with the company of their own kind as well as human companionship.

This pic is when I first got him

and this is him at the end of his recovery after having a year off work

I don't think he looks too unhappy with the hand he's been dealt

4 years after his accident he was a fairly successful show horse competing at County level.
Was he immobilised for mths on end , being cross tied, in a sling taking all the weight of his leg, only having enough room to move to eat out of a raised buckets and drink.

I think you horse is as far from what we are discussing as you can get.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 06:17 PM
One of the greatest racers in history fractured a foot bone at 9 1/2 years of age. They put him in plaster for 4 months and he did recover enough to be used out hacking, however 3 years after his recovery he had to be PTS due to having advanced arthritis in the bone that had been broken and thus was in constant pain (according to reports).

So even though you say that horses can live for 30+ years, this isn't necessarily true after injury. Yes medicine has come a long way since this occured and it may be that now we could treat them better, but not in all cases. It really does depend on what bone they have fractured.
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »