Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Raw diets - BARF or Prey

Being doing a bit more research on this and there appears to be a bit of difference of opinion.

The BARF stuff seems to include Veg whereas the Prey model does not and has less bone to it.

The Prey model seems to be simplet and make more sense?

What do you feed and why?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I have read all the books, been to the seminars, joined the forums and I can honestly say that I feed the "ME" model.

I subscribe to no school of feeding, only my own. I do feed meat, fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Millie is fed the prey version but she gets vegetables as treats not sure if that counts as prey
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I subscribe to no school of feeding, only my own. I do feed meat, fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables.
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Millie is fed the prey version but she gets vegetables as treats not sure if that counts as prey
Thanks guys, what ratio of veg to meat do you feed (roughly)?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Well as a rough example, in any meal it would consist of a small amount so eg in 1kg of food, there would be A carrot or A courgette A couple of tomatoes etc.

They get fed twice a day and some meals may not contain veggies those would be the offal meals (I feed offal as a meal) and tripe.

In addition they get a banana a day and other fruit as and when mostly pulped into yoghurt in addition to the veg or instead of again depending on what is available.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I rawfeed. I don't barf

Well I think I might just go my own way more or less

I don't feed veggies or fruit. I have done, but did it to give Luna a sense of a full tummy.

I feed meat and bones.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 05:45 PM
i dont stick to either or, i stick to what is best for my dogs..

i couldnt feed completely prey model, my dogs are too small to give them enough variety with having to feed prey model easily..

i dont feed alot of veg like barf suggests, they get it if i have any left over, or the odd treat like raw carrots or tomatoes or something..

i tend to feed bone meals 3 times a week.. i wanted to feed a bone meal every day, but they just cant take it, and 3 times a week seems to be enough. these meals consist of either a chicken wing, chicken neck, or a rib bone from either beef or pork.

they get 2 offal meals a week, usually after a bone meal, and this is a mix of liver and kidneys.. i feed this way because again with them being small, i know alot of people feed bone with offal, this just isnt easy enough when they have such a small food portion.

they have 2 fish meals a week, either sardines, pilchards or mackeral.

they get one meal a week which is egg, yoghurt and cheese or something along those lines... sometimes do it mixed and frozen in a kong or hoove..

the other meals during the week consist of other minces. these flavours are either tripe, turkey, beef, lamb, rabbit, or venison..

hope this helps a bit.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I feed more along the lines of prey model... not too much bone, no fruit or vegs, no supplements etc.

I'm not sure exactly what percentages I feed, but it is roughly the 80% meat, 10% offal and 10% bone... I just changed the amounts until I found what suited Jake the best.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Not sure TBH, a mixture of both?

I give a meal of cooked veg once a week. I cook it because it's easier for me and the dogs will eat it more willingly. I save the veg water and they have it as a drink. That way they get more of the nutrients.

I probably feed a fair bit of bone in comparison to alot of people, it's not often they have a meal which doesnt contain bone, even the minces I buy have bone in them (except tripe and offal minces).
They get bananas regularly and any other safe fruit which might be going spare/cheap.

I also tend not to give things like natural yoghurt, eggs, cottage cheese etc except on rare occasions.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I do it may own way. I don't feed veggies or fruit. I feed mostly Landywoods minces, chicken carcass and lamb bones and supplement with eggs, offal and occassional grain free kibble.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >