Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Good post.

I have to agree with the Maverick part, you pride yourself in 'ploughing their own furrow' but all I see is someone who walks behind their OH in his furrow.

End does not justify the means Gnash
THAT made me laugh!! t'is true though, although we argue a lot about dogs and horses, I respect his scientific way of looking at things, rather than from my more emotional angle.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Just obervations, but I see one or two problems. Firstly, you seem to have the mindset that a northern breed is somehow special/different and so learning theory cannot apply to them. It does - just the same as it does with any animal including humans.

This guy came to you with little training and he upset the routine/family set up in as much as your other dog(s) naturally had to adapt to the newcomer.

The fact that this boy descended from a dog you previously owned gave you and your OH a pre-conceived notion of what he would be like and constant comparisons are made and often used as 'excuses' for his lack of training.

In a period of 6-8 months, the lad was not only subjected to a new environment, new people, new dogs, but also to a myriad of training techniques offered up by various local farmers, gamekeepers, gundog trainers - none of which, at a guess, have used or are interested in techniques that don't sit well with their own ethos.

Mary Rae? Well, she's fantastic at what she does in the training sphere. However, if you get to meet her again, ask her how her own training has changed and improved over the 13 or so year gap since you last met her - not least of which has been her introduction of clicker training into her work.

No one will change your mind, Gnasher - you've gone from coping with the introduction of Ben into your family and at the same time trying many and various things to try to get him to work with you to finding what you currently believe to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I've seen it so many times before and also seen what happens when complacency and reliance on a training aid takes place.

I truly hope that Ben's current training holds and that he's one of those dogs where the single learning event has taken place. However, your reports of needing the vibration setting to 'remind' him of that event leads me to doubt this.

I also get the impression that it's your OH that 'rules the roost' as far as what is and what isn't acceptable in the name of training and that you have to convince yourself that he's right. Maybe wrong, but it's what comes over strongly in your reports
Nice post, Brierly, thank you that. I suppose because hubby does the bulk of the walking as I work very long hours far away from where we live, I do allow him to have the brunt of the walking. I do as much as I can at weekends, but then I have all the housework to do - a woman's work, and all that

Once I start returning home in daylight, instead of the dark, then perhaps I will be able to take Ben out just on our own and spend some time training him. I need to do a similar thing with Tai, because he is slipping back into his old ways of running at the fence where the chickens are kept to frighten them. But at present, it is dark when I get home at night.

I take your point also about reliance on a tool - I dislike that intensely, I dislike having to rely on anything except for my voice and my whistle, which of course are always present unless I have laryngitis!! I will probably take Ben out without wearing the e collar, or if he is wearing it,only using the pager button if I absolutely have to. Another of Hal's sons from a previous litter lives with a farmer friend of our's, and he was trained not to jump up and take pheasants out of the air on shoots, and now his owner never takes the control unit with him, the dog just wears the collar. In fact by now, even that may have been dispensed with because when I saw him in the back of the car at the pub the other day he certainly was not wearing it.

thanx for your very thoughtful posting Brierly, it is appreciated
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Well I am glad to hear that you will admit it when you are wrong ~ that's an admirable trait .

Thank you!

But I don't think having entrenched views is a good thing & is possibly contributing to your difficulty in seeing the sense of the responses to your deeds put forward by lots of other people on this thread. Having entrenched views implies having a closed mind, not being receptive to the ideas of others, a failure to accept that others may have valid opinions & more knowledge/experience. It's not a good thing & can be a big hindrance in life. It is a very inhibiting trait, not one to be proud of surely?

I am not stubborn though - I DO have entrenched views, and I have principles and I stick to them. If that is an "inhibiting trait", then yes, I have one of them!! But I AM proud of my ability, rare in my sex, to make an instant decision, stick with it and run with it. Then, if I am proved wrong - as even I am sometimes - then I will apologise with good grace.

As for being a "maverick", I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this in how it applies to your character & views but in my mind being a maverick means someone who is non-conformist, unorthodox, unconventional, individualist & perhaps there's an edgy, rebellious connotation that some find appealing? But then you go down the route of using an ecollar!!!! which is probably the complete opposite of what a maverick would do. Surely if you are a maverick & you don't follow the party line you would not be so easily persuaded to give in to the use of an ecollar when you know, in your heart of hearts, that it means inflicting pain on your much loved pet dog? A maverick would be thinking outside the box, trying to find new ways to solve problems, not going down the tried & discredited "old-fashioned" route of using electric shocks to train a dog!

Your description of a maverick is an excellent one, that sums me up to a T. However, I disagree with your connurtation (sp?) that because I am a maverick I don't follow the party line and therefore would not be easily persuaded to use an e collar, seems **** about faced to me!! I KNEW that I would be Mrs Unpopular on Dogsey by using an e collar, so therefore hardly toeing the party line!! By going against everything virtually that I have read on Dogsey about e collars, is EVERYTHING that a maverick would do, if she thought it right of course. It is not really a question of whether I think it right, or wrong. It is whether it works for BEN. He is the important one here, not me, not my husband, nor my feelings. IF and WHEN I get the remotest sign that Ben is suffering any ill-effects from this collar, then I will be the first one to hand it straight back from whence it came, you have my promise on that

We're all here trying to help you & Ben to find solutions for your training problems and trying to persuade you & make you understand that ecollars are cruel & that training with pain is not the way to go. We want to help so please try to have an open mind, be responsive to what other people are telling you so that Ben doesn't have to be subjected to electric shocks ever again.
I know at least some of you guys are trying to help us to help Ben, I know and appreciate it, your words are not falling on deaf ears believe me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
That would be interesting and probably very helpful to Gnasher
Not forgetting this dog probably has Sibe in him (say probably for obvious reasons) I'd always exercise incredible caution with regards to recall, no matter how well he seemed to be doing.

I can tell you exactly what is in his make-up - Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and wolf. No probable about it, there is sibe in him.

I would be more than happy to meet up - we live in Northants between Daventry and Northampton.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:50 PM
What exactly will it take to make you stop the collar? You're happy to have Ben yelp from pain so where do you draw the line?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
How the flying f do you expect me to train my dogs when I am working my socks off 30 miles away from where I live?

I drive approx 40,000 miles per annum. I train in the dark, at 05:00 am in the morning or earlier, at motorway services, in car parks, at night, in hotel bedrooms, in my garden.

Where there is a will there is a way.
Well bully for you. sorry, but I just cannot do that, I am totally knackered the whole time as it is. Not all of us are as fit as others
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I can tell you exactly what is in his make-up - Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and wolf. No probable about it, there is sibe in him.

I would be more than happy to meet up - we live in Northants between Daventry and Northampton.
more like collie

u didnt answer my question G.. why do u think a csv would be hard to train for recall?

btw..i had a collie bitch that was a shocker to train recall....even got in the car n drove away once...she didnt batter an eyelid..yes collies are clever,too clever for their own good..biddable..im not so sure about that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Once I start returning home in daylight, instead of the dark, then perhaps I will be able to take Ben out just on our own and spend some time training him. I need to do a similar thing with Tai, because he is slipping back into his old ways of running at the fence where the chickens are kept to frighten them. But at present, it is dark when I get home at night.
Why not start now? I know it's difficult to get out and about with him, but why not start the basics at home - perhaps when the adverts are on TV, when you are boiling a kettle to make a drink etc

Getting the basics within the home in 'small bites' is the foundation of all training. A sit, a stay, a whistle to signal meal times, cuddle times etc and even when he's just coming over to you, ie headed in your direction so that the basis of the recall is started in a relaxing environment.

When you hang out the washing at weekends, take rubbish to the bin etc, incorporate a bit of fun training - getting Ben to run after you then turning to face him and giving your recall cue (whistle or voice - whatever you use). You are setting him up to succeed and it will make that venture into the bigger world for training go so much easier.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
What exactly will it take to make you stop the collar? You're helping to have Ben yelp from pain so where do you draw the line?

If Ben started to show some worrying signs of it all going belly up. He does not continuously yelp - why should he need to? He has only EVER had two zaps, and yes, it is true, he yelped - twice. Since that day, he has never had to be zapped again, but the vibration pager has been used on him this last weekend. That of course does not cause any alarm or discomfort whatsoever, it is just a reminder to him, to listen.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Why not start now? I know it's difficult to get out and about with him, but why not start the basics at home - perhaps when the adverts are on TV, when you are boiling a kettle to make a drink etc

Getting the basics within the home in 'small bites' is the foundation of all training. A sit, a stay, a whistle to signal meal times, cuddle times etc and even when he's just coming over to you, ie headed in your direction so that the basis of the recall is started in a relaxing environment.

When you hang out the washing at weekends, take rubbish to the bin etc, incorporate a bit of fun training - getting Ben to run after you then turning to face him and giving your recall cue (whistle or voice - whatever you use). You are setting him up to succeed and it will make that venture into the bigger world for training go so much easier.
I do!! I don't have a problem with his sitting, staying, lying down, trusting for food, every time I groom them, which is every day virtually, particularly for Ben this is a training session because he does not like being brushed particularly, and used to turn on your hand in the past. He has to sit and wait calmly for his food, so does Tai, so does Gucci. I am not talking about these kinds of everyday routine training, this is not where we have had a problem. It has only been with his recall. of course we have tried running away, hiding, all the games you can think off. Running away and getting him to chase was how we got Hal to have a half decent recall when it suited him!

what you have to understand is that these "northern breed" type dogs rarely have much of a desire to please, like a normal labrador, collie or spaniel. They are recalcitrant and self-pleasing, and it is often very difficult to find a reason WHY they should want to come to you. It is easy if you have a dog who likes titbits, or toys, or just pure simple praise like Tai - but if you have a dog like Hal, or Ben, it is far far far harder. With Hal, we could have waived a pair of smelly socks or knickers and he would have come like a shot. Or wafted the scent of bitch in heat around!! the only thing that tripped that dog's trigger was SEX!! He was not in the remotestly interested in food. Ben is a little keener on food, so it has been easier with him because we reinforce his training with titbits. If we had had Ben from 8 weeks like we did Hal, we would not be having this problem now. I would say he is 50% easier to train than Hal was - we managed to achieve a passing standard of recall with Hal only because we had had him virtually from birth.

I wish I had a video camera - but I am more than happy to meet up with anyone who lives in the Northants area!
Page 15 of 42 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »