Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Its point of contact training and you don't use the stim on the dogs genitials for sit.

The idea is based around the dog viewing the stim as pressure (like horses) so the dog will naturally move away from presusre.

Examples, top of neck for down, top of hindquaters for sit, side of neck for turn.

Adam

Adam, can't you honestly see how messed up this is, this is basic training, why would you have need to use such a harsh method.

A dog shocked to learn how to sit

If it is okay to ask, where did you train, and what are your qualifications as far as dog training is concerned.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Why would you even THINK of using it on the dogs genitals for ANYTHING????
I'd like to know this too. I can't think of a single reason to use it there.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I agree. I have to admit I was appaled when I read that you used one on a little jack russell to teach agility??? I had a JRT (still do technically, but parents stole him lol) that does agility & would never think if using an e collar on him for anything!

Agility is supposed to be fun!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Historically dog training wasn't especially kind.

Adam

I use the e collar from the start in some cases becuase it teachs the behaviour most effectively, this in turn has knock on benifits for the dogs.

Adam
But Adam, I wasn't just asking historically; what I said was:

Originally Posted by Lucky Star
And how do you think, Adam, that people train dogs simply by talent, rapport, natural instinct, etc.? I mean before, and aside from, torture collars and named regimes? You won't know, of course, because you have no rapport with dogs and can't fathom that kind of relationship. Yet so many people do. Without studying so-called animal behaviour (horses, in your case, I believe). Why can't you?

Many people are able to train their dogs without any knowledge of so-called 'training methods'. They do it instinctively, working with their dog. They do it kindly and have fun too. And they build up trust between them and a wonderful bond.

As for using an e-collar from the start, I am assuming you are referring to a puppy, since this is when basic training usually commences. Teaching the command "sit", going to the toilet in the desired area, learning to walk around the garden on a lead, etc. What a revolting thought that conjures up, using an electric collar on a puppy that is only, what, 8 weeks old perhaps?

I don't know anyone who has had problems in training their puppy to "sit", for instance, and who would have needed to stick on an e-collar in order to achieve it and certainly not attach one to their pup's genitals.

Please don't tell me you stick electric collars on puppies that are just a few weeks old.

Do you use collars to teach puppies or dogs to go to the toilet in the area where you want them to go?
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Why do any of you even get in to a discussion with Adam? it's the same old Sh!t time after time!

Come on Mods/Admin ban him! I am sure others have been banned for far less contraversal posts!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Yeah, I agree. I have to admit I was appaled when I read that you used one on a little jack russell to teach agility??? I had a JRT (still do technically, but parents stole him lol) that does agility & would never think if using an e collar on him for anything!

Agility is supposed to be fun!!
SERIOUSLY. Agility is not life and death. Agility is not necessary to life. It is supposed to be FUN. How can someone think it's FUN to shock their dog and make them perform? My dog may not be ace at agility but she's having a blast with it! And it's all fun, all positive.

Agility also can do wonders for shy dog's confidence, but that's not going to happen if you're shocking the dog for doing something wrong.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Why do any of you even get in to a discussion with Adam? it's the same old Sh!t time after time!
I do because I don't want this sort of misinformation floating around the internet without someone saying "HEY THIS IS WRONG." Loudly and strongly. If he can just post whatever he wants and no one counters him, it'll look like we agree with him.

Come on Mods/Admin ban him! I am sure others have been banned for far less contraversal posts!
Still 100% agreeing with this. He's just a troll and as such, should NOT be here.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry but if you need to shock a dog to teach it to sit you have no buisness having a bloody rat let alone a dog. Sitting is a NATURAL bodily movement for God sake! I'd LOVE oh yes...LOVE to see someone come close to Luke with a shock collar...what fun that would be. I guarantee you you'd be bleeding out before you got it on him, and by permission. You should NOT have to push on a dog's back end to get them to sit. How about...wait for them to do it and praise them so they know it's something you like them to do? Oh that would take too much time? Maybe all of five attempts if you've got a particularly stubborn dog? Don't get me started.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I know! All mine love agility, even the cattle dog (I dabble with a few jumps with her, nothing serious) in fact if given the chance, if I so much as head toward the jumping area since I have to pass it to get to the manure pile where we dump our manure she will make a be line for the area witj the jumps!
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Adam, can't you honestly see how messed up this is, this is basic training, why would you have need to use such a harsh method.

A dog shocked to learn how to sit

If it is okay to ask, where did you train, and what are your qualifications as far as dog training is concerned.
Well now THAT is the million dollar question isn't it? Come on Adam....Tell all the nice people the truth about your training and qualifications. Oh and dont forget to mention your uni stint where you learnt about large/zoo based animal welfare,except you didn't learn a lot did you?
Page 12 of 38 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »