Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jonnymac
New Member!
Female 

30-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Dogs and chips

Hi there,

If a dog needs to be rescued from a bad situation (but MSPCA guidelines don't quite reach that far), is there a way to get around a chip, short of surgical removal?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by jonnymac View Post
Hi there,

If a dog needs to be rescued from a bad situation (but MSPCA guidelines don't quite reach that far), is there a way to get around a chip, short of surgical removal?
I don't know about the US law, but here in the UK the chip isn't proof of ownership so just because you have had your dog chipped it doesn't prove you own the dog
jonnymac
New Member!
Female 

31-07-2010, 12:45 PM
That's a good thing to look into. Even so, if the vet of the new owner scanned the chip, a number of things could happen, one of which is that the dog would get returned to the situation that she's in now.

As it stands, getting her out is going to be a huge challenge. She is for the most part, confined to a little mud room that is part of their house. To get her out is going to be as blatant as blatant can be.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Just be careful as you dont want to get in trouble with the law yourself, Its a tricky situation. What I would say is keep a very close eye on them and the moment they step a foot wrong report them straight away.
It is just so difficult, I can't believe that authorities and rescues dont have stronger powers to seize dogs in this day and age when they are clearly not being looked after.

If not you could always try the option of bribing the owner with some money, I know this is not always a nice option (The last thing I would want to do with scum like that is give them money) But it might be one legal way around to obtaining the dog from these nasty people.

I know a couple of people who have in the past purchased dogs from Gypsies (travellers) who have failed to look after there dogs and keep them in a nice envrionment.

I can't justify giving them money, And I have pointed out that this is encourgaing the people to continue to do this, and to breed their dogs as they are then making money from muck so to say.. But possibly if the authorities wont do anything it might be one of the only legal alternatives.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
No, but it`s amazing how far a dog can disappear to, with the right help.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
No, but it`s amazing how far a dog can disappear to, with the right help.
ditto............