Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k33tah
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Obedience help seriously needed

Hey, I'm a newbie so just wanted to say a big HELLO first of all

Secondly, Where on earth do i start with obediance training? One day i would like to go to crufts and get my pooch her OB CH xD

Whats is the Special Pre-beginner Obediance Stake and how do i qualify for it?
and do you go to Crufts for the GCGS awards?
and is there different awards for YKC and normal obediance awards?

Hoping to start at a new club next week that do the GCDS but until then would really like to know as much as pos

Soooo confused! looked into it so much but really dont understand.

I have a 4 month old little Cocker called Bella who has just completed a 7 week Obediance course and did fantastic! Top of the Class!! She can hold a Sit/Down-Wait/Stay, Great recall, Finish (where she walks around me after a recall so shes sitting perfectly on my left) Walk quite well on a lead considering her age including about turns and recalls on the move and knows loads of little tricks suck as rollover, beg etc
Does anyone else think she has the potential? Or is it just because she was in a group of really untrained dogs
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Without having seen your puppy there is no way of knowing

Have a look here for advice re getting started at shows

The KCGC Special Pre Beginner stakes require your dog to have it's bronze KCGC & to qualify for Crufts first you have to qualify in one of the heats for one of the semifinals & then qualify from the semi final.

YKC Obedience is totally separate from the KCGC & the standard Obedience competitions & you can qualify for Crufts by winning one of the classes with in the qualifying marks or gaining enough certificates from the classes at shows.
k33tah
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Oh wow thanks i've literally spent hours to try find that out and you pretty much got the answer in one sentance

Cant wait to start my GCDS. Ive looked at everything they need to be able to do to pass the bronze award and i think i'm pretty much there, but not sure if i still have to wait until my puppy is 6 months before she can qualify, will find out next week.

Another Question.. Can you do both the YKC competitions as well as the normal KC shows?

Thanks!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by k33tah View Post

Another Question.. Can you do both the YKC competitions as well as the normal KC shows?

Thanks!!
Yes you can if the show schedules YKC classes(not all do)you can choose whether to enter the YKC & standard classes or just the YKC classes. The same rules apply to the YKC KCGC stakes classes, you can just enter the KCGC stakes.

There are also sometimes ABC classes(Anything But a Collie or collie cross)but you do have to enter at least one standard Obedience class if you enter. there are no stays in this class & rather than having marks deducted for errors, marks are gained. the tests are geared to the lowest clases the dog is working & more marks are gained if the dog does the round for the dogs that are working a higher class than theirs(hope that makes sense !)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Dyane has answered youyr Questions! But good luck & hope to see you aroundthe shows!