Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Research need some help please.

Would anyone have any ideas which areas of kent are easy access to Lewisham in London and not a million miles away ?

Gorden has had two really late nights one a problem at work to sort out then the traveling and then last night stuck in the Dartford tunnel so thought we would do some research into areas of kent which are nearer than here to where he works.
Thinking of maybe moving.
Any help much appreciated.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Bit confused, are you thinking of moving to Kent or want an alternative route home?
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Bit confused, are you thinking of moving to Kent or want an alternative route home?
Becky
Sorry Becky didn't make it very clear did I possible move to Kent.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Not sure I'll be much help tbh, I'm a south londoner living in Essex and I did the opposite of what you're considering. I lived on the london/kent border up the top of shooters hill in a little close, so not a million miles from Lewisham. It was lovely but the commuting to get anywhere was dire. The Dartford tunnel is obviously an issue because it's a bottle neck as is the Blackwall tunnel but the traffic is no better going out of london into kent IMO. I spent years commuting by car between central London and home. Nice areas tend to be a tad expensive too and although I still have lots of friends over there and do go over quite a lot to visit I wouldn't move back unless none of us had to commute.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Not sure I'll be much help tbh, I'm a south londoner living in Essex and I did the opposite of what you're considering. I lived on the london/kent border up the top of shooters hill in a little close, so not a million miles from Lewisham. It was lovely but the commuting to get anywhere was dire. The Dartford tunnel is obviously an issue because it's a bottle neck as is the Blackwall tunnel but the traffic is no better going out of london into kent IMO. I spent years commuting by car between central London and home. Nice areas tend to be a tad expensive too and although I still have lots of friends over there and do go over quite a lot to visit I wouldn't move back unless none of us had to commute.
Thanks for that, that is the thing is the traveling going to be any better if not we are better staying put and just moving to Derbyshire or North Yorkshire in the next few years as planned.

Gorden may well start looking for another job up north that was his other plan.

Ooooh my Mum is going to love this (not).
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks for that, that is the thing is the traveling going to be any better if not we are better staying put and just moving to Derbyshire or North Yorkshire in the next few years as planned.

Gorden may well start looking for another job up north that was his other plan.

Ooooh my Mum is going to love this (not).
My move kind of evolved, I went from commuting into central london spending around 60-90 mins to travel 11 miles to becoming self employed and taking on premises in Chigwell, so commuting through the blackwall tunnel every day. The OH continued to commute into London for a while and was then redeployed to Brentwood. So we were both commuting into Essex . I started browsing estate agents as you do and booked a few viewings to see what I could get for my money. Before I knew it, I'd seen this place and left a holding deposit without the OH having a clue. It was a bit neglected but a lot more house for my money. I bought it, did it up to a decent standard and moved in within 4 months . It wasn't particularly well planned or thought out but I do have a tendency to make snap decisions. We all moved over, decided we liked it here and stayed. We sold the other house about 5 years later after renting it out. So I didn't just burn my bridges, I'd lived there for 15 years and it was hard to let go.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My move kind of evolved, I went from commuting into central london spending around 60-90 mins to travel 11 miles to becoming self employed and taking on premises in Chigwell, so commuting through the blackwall tunnel every day. The OH continued to commute into London for a while and was then redeployed to Brentwood. So we were both commuting into Essex . I started browsing estate agents as you do and booked a few viewings to see what I could get for my money. Before I knew it, I'd seen this place and left a holding deposit without the OH having a clue. It was a bit neglected but a lot more house for my money. I bought it, did it up to a decent standard and moved in within 4 months . It wasn't particularly well planned or thought out but I do have a tendency to make snap decisions. We all moved over, decided we liked it here and stayed. We sold the other house about 5 years later after renting it out. So I didn't just burn my bridges, I'd lived there for 15 years and it was hard to let go.

I am going to have a browse later and we are both going to do a bit of research into kent when Gorden is on holiday.

We use to live in Brentwood. Got a lot to do on this house though and of course the market isn't so good at the moment but what will be will be no harm in starting to have a look. Our plan is to move in another year if possible its just a matter of where so thats what we have to get sorted in our heads.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd be looking at Sidcup/Bexleyheath/Bromley for easy access to Lewisham.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I'd be looking at Sidcup/Bexleyheath/Bromley for easy access to Lewisham.
Thankyou wonder if they are places Gorden was thinking of and they are expensive to buy round there.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thankyou wonder if they are places Gorden was thinking of and they are expensive to buy round there.
They all have horrendous traffc problems that's for sure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >