Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
We had Amber at eight weeks old, she was answering her name with in two days, and sitting, staying and down within a week. Some people think it's wrong to train them so young but I think it's the right time....
I started clicker training Merlin the moment I got him at 9 weeks. By 10 weeks he would sit, down, come to his name, would give a paw, and give whichever paw I asked for. I'm sure there were a few more things I've forgotten!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
We had Amber at eight weeks old, she was answering her name with in two days, and sitting, staying and down within a week. Some people think it's wrong to train them so young but I think it's the right time. All they need is time and lots of love and a puppy will do most things you ask of it.
and TRUST! the most mportant thing imho.
training begins the moment you bring your puppy home,no matter if its the human that starts it or otherwise.lol.
toilet training is one of the first and hardest thing a pup will learn,no one thinks twice(that i know of) about starting that straight away!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
toilet training is one of the first and hardest thing a pup will learn,no one thinks twice(that i know of) about starting that straight away!
Ah, that was one of the 'other things' I'd forgotten!
Clicked and treated every time he 'went' in the garden. It was so easy that way, it was soon clear to him something Good happened if he wee'd out there, but nothing happened if he wee'd indoors (except being scooped up and put outside if I caught him). Cliacker training, and the new positive reinforcement methods were a revelation to me, having learned the old 'choke chain and shove' methods with family dogs 25 years before.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 05:49 PM
as ive said before,this is a common problem with heeler/herding breeds,
if she had already lost an eye by 18months imho this dog must of showed signs(as heelers do)of this escalating,the owners could of 'trained her' and not given her free rain rather than the LAZY option of paying a tv 'behaviourist' to show them how to use an-collar(3 months of intensive training rather than 3 months of zapping,low level or not)
Oh I agree the lazy sods should have trained the dog from puppyhood not to chase but their excuse was they were too busy with the farm. Also they seemed resigned to the fact sooner or later she was going to lose her life under the combine harvester. I can't relate to these people at all tbh but I'd say it was fairly obvious they were never going to put in the effort to retrain the dog. They probably only called him in because as it was used on the tv it no doubt cost them nothing. The e-collar may have been a quick fix but better that that losing the dog in the combine harvester.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm also a tad confused by the often repeated statement that he doesn't teach dogs basic commands of course he does, he just doesn't teach others to do it. He advises them to go to puppy class etc.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
i am watching the dog-whisperer he has answered the question....he said ,i can tell a dog to come to me with my eyes
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 06:56 PM
i am watching the dog-whisperer he has answered the question....he said ,i can tell a dog to come to me with my eyes
Only if its looking at you
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Ahhhhhh. That explains it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm also a tad confused by the often repeated statement that he doesn't teach dogs basic commands of course he does, he just doesn't teach others to do it. He advises them to go to puppy class etc.
So am I , as with most of his cases, the dogs are way past the puppy stage, so would be rather pointless for him to advise anyone to take the dogs to puppy class etc

I fact, I dont think I have ever heard him recommend anyone take them to puppy/training classes!!

In fact the only thing I hear him continually say is "he is not a trainer and does not train dogs"
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs

now he must be good to achieve that one

Me thinks the man is starting to believe his own hype
Page 23 of 25 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 >