Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Looks great
errmm - you aint gonna like this but it looks like the A frame IS lowered! There is often a few places you can connect the bar along the bottom and the higher up it is conected the lower the a frame is

Commands really depend on who you are training with, with my two I have minimal commands
'Go' means go take the obsticle you are looking at
'in' towards me
'out' Away from me
'down' lie down at the bottom of dogwalk and A frame and at the end of the seesaw (we do a 4 on the floor contact - means the dog runs all the way down and lies down just off the contact)
'weave' (or in my case 'weave, weave, WEAVE, pay attention and calm down Ben - now weave!'
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's a couple of videos of Jack doing his stuff (proud mummy alert )

Never mind the contacts

Better contacts (bar one ), love the contact on the see-saw
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I cant get the hang of putting a vid up properly but you have to check out this lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8lj...os=6M10VozysP0

Or for a bit more sedate here is me and Ben doing a bit rubbish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEoVRGKylFI

and here is my friends GSD on her first run after injury (and the first one with little sis there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hshzN...eature=related
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post

Never mind the contacts

Cool, v nice. Great weaves. Funny how all shows look the same - I was gonna ask if the top one was Dundee but then realised how unlikely that would be
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi H,

When Olivers doing contacts he gets "go on" and even "woooosssshhhhhh" to speed him up going over and down, but he can be quite wary of it and drop to a slow trot, more on the dog walk and seasaw than the A-frame. So I kind of wind him up to do them as I want him to find it fun, which he's really getting the hang of now. Then he moves into position on the contact and I go silent, then I say "ok" and he either runs to his ball-y which has been pre-positioned about five foot away from the contact, or he runs to me to play with his tuggy. I spend alot of time building Olivers confidence as he is naturally inclined to worry about things. He's only fifteen months though so just a baby and we're working through everything slowly and thoroughly to make sure he has really solid ground work. If we do go wrong I can't let on at all or else he starts stressing his little head and we can't have that!

With Indy who tends to race over them, if she's going too quickly then I say "steady" and she checks her pace, then I say "stop" at the end and she drops into a kind of almost down position. You have to be wary that when you say steady though that she does actually do it, lots of people end up shouting "steady, steady, steady" while their dog merrily legs it past them! I'm lucky with Indy as she's very biddable and keen to please so she covers up alot of my handling faults, she just seems to take everything in her stride.

For the other obstacles I use 'tunnel', 'tyre' & 'weave' for obstacle discrimination incase its not clear to them what the next obstacle is, and then just use directions so 'go on', 'left', 'right', 'this' (for pulling through obstacles) and 'out' to go around things. The hardest thing I find is teaching them to turn away from me, gets me in a reet muddle!

Felix only does jumping and tunnels over a low height because of his muscle problems, but he's so happy to finally be doing something he usually has us all in stitches because he's so enthusiastic in a funny way, when I leave him in a wait he starts offering his tricks cos he discovered everybody laughs when he does it!

It's all good fun though, and Indy & Felix are entered in a competition in July!

H x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Cool, v nice. Great weaves. Funny how all shows look the same - I was gonna ask if the top one was Dundee but then realised how unlikely that would be
No we haven't ventured that far afield yet it was either Bridge House or Surrey, both share the same weekend at the same venue, one on Saturday one on Sunday but it's held at Horsham, West Sussex

I've just watched Ben's runs and I can't see much wrong with them, he's working well and listening to most of the time, I'm certain it wont be long until you get a clear round
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Never mind the contacts

I cant get the hang of putting a vid up properly but you have to check out this lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8lj...os=6M10VozysP0

Or for a bit more sedate here is me and Ben doing a bit rubbish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEoVRGKylFI

and here is my friends GSD on her first run after injury (and the first one with little sis there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hshzN...eature=related
Looking good you guys!

BMF do you ever do any shows in the borders? We're in the north east so might overlap at some shows next year maybe?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
No we haven't ventured that far afield yet it was either Bridge House or Surrey, both share the same weekend at the same venue, one on Saturday one on Sunday but it's held at Horsham, West Sussex

I've just watched Ben's runs and I can't see much wrong with them, he's working well and listening to most of the time, I'm certain it wont be long until you get a clear round
thanks but the problem is last year we got about 75% clear rounds and won out of grades 1 and 2
This year he is less independant, slower, has no start line stays (hence my rubbish positions sometimes) and too excited about weaves
Thankfully last weekend was better and we got 2 clear rounds - a 3rd in grade 1 - 3 combined jumping and a clear (no place) in the 1-7 combined Olympia qualifier
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
Looking good you guys!

BMF do you ever do any shows in the borders? We're in the north east so might overlap at some shows next year maybe?
I havent done any yet, I dont do camping cos of Mia so it has to be somewhere I can get home within about 1 hour (except Dundee cos my mum came to help me and we hmade a wee holiday of it) The most south ones I have done so far are in Irvine and Lanark
Mibby next year - would be good to see you
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I havent done any yet, I dont do camping cos of Mia so it has to be somewhere I can get home within about 1 hour (except Dundee cos my mum came to help me and we hmade a wee holiday of it) The most south ones I have done so far are in Irvine and Lanark
Mibby next year - would be good to see you
Cool Back in the day we always used to go to Irvine show so fingers crossed if we get a van and camping gear sorted in reasonable time we might see you there. Will have to see how we go though
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >