View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I might feed it on occasion to a sick dog but, as Minihaha says, it is nutritionally deficient.

Which dog foods have you tried? There are numerous ones to try without resorting to porridge.

Has your vet determined what actually makes him vomit? Is her allergic to certain ingredients? Is it the texture? In either case there are enough alternatives to enable you to find something suitable and nutritious for him to eat.

Surely you can feed him chicken that is not freshly cooked? I can't see many folk "cooking" that first thing in the morning! Even cold chicken and pasta or rice, gently warmed in the microwave would be a better alternative until you can source something more suitable.
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post
I might feed it on occasion to a sick dog but, as Minihaha says, it is nutritionally deficient.

Which dog foods have you tried? There are numerous ones to try without resorting to porridge.

Has your vet determined what actually makes him vomit? Is her allergic to certain ingredients? Is it the texture? In either case there are enough alternatives to enable you to find something suitable and nutritious for him to eat.

Surely you can feed him chicken that is not freshly cooked? I can't see many folk "cooking" that first thing in the morning! Even cold chicken and pasta or rice, gently warmed in the microwave would be a better alternative until you can source something more suitable.
Agreed. Ghastly stuff anyway!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post
Many older dog owners like myself were feeding porridge and other fresh food to dogs long before the present 'complete 'food was invented and they did very well on it too. Our dogs had very few tummy problems in those days.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
If the dog likes it that is fine as a treat and a small amount of sugar will do no harm either - keep the milk and sugar to a minimum and look upon it as a treat and no harm done at all. Some people give puppies porridge with milk and a little sugar for one of their meals and the pups do not seem to suffer any harm and grow as well as the pup fed on scraped meat and meal or complete.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Didn't he mean that personally? I hate it too!
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post
Didn't he mean that personally? I hate it too!
Actually yes, I did.

I agree with the post.

I do not like porridge.

Is that better?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I feed my pup porridge for her breakfast with no sugar or cows milk, just water with a wee bit of puppy milk and she's doing great with no problems, I did this with all my pups 'til they were down to 2 meals a day. Obviously she has 3 other meals a day which are not porridge to give her the nutrition she needs but I know a LOT of people who feed puppies porridge and wean them with it and as Mini says, sick/recovering and older dogs too. Porridge can also help build up a thin dog too, I used to feed it to my weimaraner when we couldn't keep any weight on her, she has a very sensitive tum but was always fine with it. I used to stir in some gravy granules and she loved it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
porridge is great for dogs
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
i would of thought it was ok for 1 meal as long as it not every meal, mine have it now and then made with water.
daniellaura
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
the oats in porridge are good foe the dog but the shugur is a bit no no!! also dogs are lactos untolerante so it should be made with something thats not dairy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >