Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum2Pups
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2005, 12:57 PM

Post op poos (or lack of!)

Megan our 6mnth staff was speyed on Tuesday and unfortunately was quite sickly after the anaesthetic - consequently she's only just started eating normally again but the poor wee lamb is struggling at poo time! Can anyone suggest any natural remedies I can add to her food (or feed as a treat!) that would help her get things moving again? She's recovering well and getting back to her bouncy self but looking pretty sore and sorry for herself when she needs to go!

PS: Everything seems to be in working order as she has managed to pass a couple of pretty solid little poos so far!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2005, 01:02 PM
When Abe was ill a few weeks ago,he didnt have an appetite so i spoon fed him (in lounge!) tinned puppy food.Because it contains a lot of water and probably not much else-it went straight through him,but atleast he was eating something.
Mum2Pups
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Steve but Megan turned her nose up at tinned puppy food at the earliest opportunity! I think you're right making sure she gets more water - need to work out how to get her to drink more! She's eating well - chicken, rice etc but what goes in must come out!

Hope Abe's ok and recovered well
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Try boiling the chicken up in some water and include the broth with her chicken and rice That's what I did when Archie was ill last weekend, and at least that way I could be sure he wouldn't get dehydrated
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Mum2Pups,

We had Saffy our 15 month old Staff speyed on Friday. She was exactly like you are describing but it seemed to ease up a lot on the Tuesday.

Our major concern was her lack of drinking (she also had 2 teeth out at the same time). I've been putting lots of water in with her Burns though just to make sure she is getting plenty. You can try getting her to drink out of your hands too (that worked well with Saffy).

The only other problem we're having is she seems to have a little bit of rash from the shaving and her abdomen still feels a bit hard and swollen. The wound has already almost healed. We have an appointment at the Vet tomorrow just to check everything is OK.

Take advantage of Megan being quiet while you can... Saffy has returned to her attention seeking self today and seems to have taken to hitting me with her toys :smt022

Hope your little one gets well soon,

Graeme
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Would she eat carrot - either whole or grated over her food?

Perhaps a bit of bran mixed with her food - would All Bran and milk be a treat just for a one-off? Don't really know anything other than that, unless you want to get into the semi - medicinal stuff.

Oh, how about a nice warm cup of tea?

Someone who has much more sensible knowledge will be along soon - but I though I'd share a few ideas. I'd go with the carrot.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-04-2005, 06:08 AM
You could try adding some fresh figs or some prunes to her food, failing that you can get syrup of figs and follow the instructions on the bottle
Christine.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Graeme

The only other problem we're having is she seems to have a little bit of rash from the shaving and her abdomen still feels a bit hard and swollen. The wound has already almost healed. We have an appointment at the Vet tomorrow just to check everything is OK.

Graeme
Tetleyhad this prob..we took him to the vet and they gave him some antibiotics..it's just where the hair was shaved as you said and the follicles have become infected, don't worry it can be sorted very easily
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Hello MtoP the other you might try is sardines in olive oil, tip the oil away, there will still be some left in the fish....this will gently help things along
Mum2Pups
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Success - Megan came in today and I'd swear she was skipping! Result! Tried grated carrot and encouraged her to drink more by finding a new game! If I turn on the outside tap and let it trickle she'll happily lap it up!

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice and good luck at the vets Saffy - I'm sure she'll be ok
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >